Net Carbs, Sugar Alcohols, & Artificial Sweetners

Karamay
on 2/7/13 5:01 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

In an effort to get my protein in, I have been researching & tasting different protein bars.  I really like the Met-Rx  Protein Plus bars, but I have a few questions:

-There are ALOT of sugar alcohols in these bars...28g for the whole bar...which is huge, but does not seem to have any ill-effects on my system.  Is it OK to eat sugar alcohols?

-The total carbs are 33g, sugar 2g, & sugar alcohols 28g....does that mean there are 5g net carbs (33-28)?  Does my body really only absorb the 5g of the net carbs?

-What about artificial sweetners...my drug of choice is splenda.  Are these OK...they do not seem to affect me either.

I get most of my protein from food & get about 80-90g per day & wanted to supplement with these bars, which have 32 g of protein in them.  Sorry...I have a hard time getting down the protein shakes....even though I have tried about 5-6 different types.

Also, I have been experimenting with tortilla wraps.  I found a low carb one (8 inches) that claims to have 32 g Total carbs per wrap & 26 g of dietary fiber & the package advertises 6 g net carbs....Really??? Can I trust this or am I eating more carbs than I think I am?  I do not want to 'kid' myself.

Please help!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

MajorMom
on 2/7/13 6:38 am - VA

If you can handle the Met-Rx, ok. The sugar alcohols bother me but Splenda doesn't. I us JayRobb bars because it says the protein is whey protein and I like that.

You can usually--rule of thumb--subtract the fiber but go by your scales.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 2/7/13 8:50 am - AL

Early out I couldn't handle sugar alcohols AT ALL....GAS!!!  Splenda has always been ok.  Now I can do small amounts of SAs but not much.  I try to avoid them.  I use splenda a lot.

~Becky

MsBatt
on 2/7/13 11:00 am

Sugar alcohols have calories, you know---only about 1 calorie pr gram less than table sugar.

fullhousemom
on 2/7/13 11:15 am
I tried protein shakes at about 2 1/2 months and could not tolerate them. I eat a Premier protein bar every day. There are no sugar alcohols (which I couldnt tolerate either) and 30 grams of protein. Some people commented that I shouldnt be eating them so early out because of the carbs. I ate very few carbs in my meals, and ate lots of meat. I had no problem with weight loss.
Jaiart
on 2/8/13 4:12 am - MI

Where'd ya pick those up?  I'd be interested in trying them.

fullhousemom
on 2/8/13 4:16 am
Sam's Club! I stock up when I go!
ashleamarcelle
on 2/7/13 12:05 pm - TX
Have you tried chike? I tried it before my DS and loved it.

Ashlea Marcelle PawsRanchRescue.org                                                                                    Saving one dog will not change the world, but it will change the world for that dog. unknown

PattyL
on 2/8/13 5:34 am

If you tolerate sugar alcohols, great!  I can eat them but get diarrhea if I overdo it!

Love Splenda.  But if I have a lot of it I lose less weight.  I have no idea why and it's not supposed to work that way but I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I use low carb products like the tortillas all the time and they work well for me.  I tend to read the labels and take them at their word.  If it's not low carb my body will tell me.  I usually use the Mission low carb tortillas and I do believe they are low carb.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 370 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views