Labs-where do you get them done?

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 6:24 am

50K of D, 3X a day!?!?!  

Writing your own lab slip actually sounds like a brilliant idea. 

I didn't know about the light situation with K, but it's apparent to me the nursing staff didn't either. I plan to get them redone at the end of the month so all of the ideas in this thread are really helpful in putting together a plan of action. 

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 6:31 am - AL

Our goal for our D labs is 80-100.  I am around 50 taking what I take.  It doesn't seem to matter if I increase it my labs stay around 50.  Which isn't terrible.  Did you get pre-op labs?  The whole world is basically D deficient.  Most of us started out deficient.  Seeing D numbers under 20 is VERY regular around this forum.  And that is just WAY too low.

I used to fret over the light sensitve labs too until the owner of an independent lab told us that it isn't a problem when the blood is drawn that whatever they do WITH the blood in the lab is when it is light sensitive. 

~Becky

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 6:41 am

My vit. D levels are at 13 now . They were low (mid 20s) before surgery. I thought I was doing great, talking about 10K per day.

I read that if you aren't seeing improvements with yoru vits you may have to switch brands. If I was told right,  the FDA doesn't really monitor/analyze the industry beyond making sure it's safe for consumption, so often times the actual vitamin content is much lower than what's advertised. Like a 1,000 IU pill only having 33% of the advertised vitamin content. Some were as low as 1%! Unfortunately Vitamin D and Fish Oil pills are prone to fraud. 

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 9:08 am - AL

I never heard of anyone taking VitaLady's DRY D having a problem.  I know you can trust her.  You need to get on 100k a day and get retested in a month and see if you need to go higher. 

Whoever told you 10k is enough doesn't understand your DS.  So anything else they told you should be suspect as well.  Verify here.  The best thing to do is post your complete vitamin schedule here and let the vitamin gurus/vets comment for you.

Your aren't going to absorb fish oil gel caps or any other gel caps btw.  Not sure if you meant you were taking it or just mentioning it as prone to problems with correct labeling.

~Becky

PattyL
on 2/13/13 5:05 am

Sounds like you need a new GP.  Why the B shots?  Most of us absorb B's just fine.

I shop for mine and the last couple times Quest was cheapest.

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 6:13 am

I was advised to get B shots once or twice a year by a nutritionist. I hear there's a bit of controversy as to whether or not it's really necessary (for anyone). I live near a quest-I'll have to see if they take my insurance. 

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 6:28 am - AL

I have to be very careful not to get too much B.  I take B complex (50) once a week.  And sublingual B-12 3 times a week.  We can definitely get too much B and too little is pretty much unheard of.  It is the RnY who have so much trouble with B and need the injections.

Quest is as bad as Lab Corp.  I recommend a hospital lab.

~Becky

fullhousemom
on 2/13/13 7:41 am

I posted another thread about Quest Diagnostics where I get my labs.

My first year labs were ordered by my surgeon.  I expect to see him on an annual basis and know there won't be a problem getting tested what I want tested.  I added some tests which I found from researching here.  Go to the search option on this site and enter "labs and DS' and you will get lots of information.  You could also search "B12 and DS", etc and get more specific information as it might pertain to you.

I have heard that we absorb our B vitamins more easily but a B multi is recommended.  I took Vitaladys recommended dosages  for my Bs and ended up with high levels.  I will be cutting my intake on Bs.

I take a sublingual B12 and my B12 topped at greater than 2000 (normal is 100-1100).  I wouldn't worry about a B12 shot.  But I would start talking the sublingual B12s right away.  You can order them by googling "Vitalady".

Good luck.

WeepingWillow
on 2/14/13 8:21 pm

Great advice. Thanks!

Sandra C.
on 2/14/13 12:07 pm - Kalamazoo, MI

I have my labs done at the hospital satellite out patient center. They draw for many bariatric patients, and are very fast filling all the tubes. I was impressed when they ran a tube  for special handling back to the lab in the next room. My surgeons team orders my labs. I have a copy for my records, to show my PCP, in case she wants to order them herself some day. She has used them, and is fine with working with me, since she said I seem to know all about the D.S., way more than she does. Since the D.S. is so different from any other surgery, if my PCP didn't listen to my suggestions, I would be searching for a new PCP who would work with me. All my B vits are fine, no need for injections. I am about to begin iron injections, since I am tummy and mouth sensitive to the oral iron/C. My hematologist  orders apropriate labs, works with other D.S.ers, referred by my D.S. surgeon. Ask your surgeon for a PCP referral, or ask your surgeons other patients who they like for a PCP.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 750 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1043 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views