Labs-where do you get them done?

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 12:41 am

So I had a disastrous experience at my GP's office. He insisted that he had many patients who've had gastric bypass and that I didn't need all the extras I asked for . It became clear to me that he doesn't know much about my procedure. I insisted on B12 shots and a vitamin K test. He said no to the shots but agreed to the K test. 

Apparently the blood for K testing cannot be exposed to sunlight. The nurse poorly wrapped the tube in foil and drew my blood. The foil slipped off and she immediately but it back on, but I asked if she needed to draw more since that blood was exposed. She said it would be fine but low and behold, the K test came back inconclusive. I am also really deficient with vit. D, and low on C. 

I've decided to up those vitamins and I'm now taking 50,000 IU of D per day. The doc said I only need 50,000 1X per week. I'm not satisfied with this experience at all.

So where do you guys get your labs done and what do you test for? Do you go to your general practitioner? Internist? I am worried about malnutrition and I want to catch any problem before it become severe. 

Thanks for reading!

MajorMom
on 2/13/13 12:59 am - VA

I'm still able to get my surgeon's lab script and it's pretty darn close to Vitalady's recommendations. If you need to show your GP what a real WLS surgeon's office orders we can get on PM and share emails. I'll send you a copy of mine.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 1:08 am

Hi Gina,

I would love to PM you about it! Reading stories of night blindness and other ailments really freaks me out. 

MajorMom
on 2/13/13 1:11 am - VA

Sent you a PM.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Michelle H.
on 2/15/13 9:30 am
DS on 01/16/13

Gina,

My email is [email protected] I would love to have a copy of the lab request or whatever. My doc is willing to order anything, but i have to hand him the list to order.

thanks

Michelle hoppes

Jen 1959
on 1/11/14 2:23 am - NH

Gina, I had RNY, are your Labs close to the same as I would have?          Could you either post on here the list or PM me?  I am having such a hard time getting my GP to listen to me on the subject of labs and my Surgeon is worse!!

or email..

[email protected]

Valerie G.
on 2/13/13 1:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I agree a partnership with your surgeon will give your requests credibility.  If it doesn't work, it's time for a new GP.  Some just think they know it all - pity....  My PCP is young and very curious.  She didn't have a DS patient before, but when she looked at the diagram she saw immediately where the DS is better than the RNY and was eager to learn more.  I've learned a lot on my own, and she orders what my surgeon had on her list of labs and we work together to make change suggestions...sometimes her, sometimes me initiating the change.  She's even recommended the DS to other patients talking about wls.

In other words, there are better docs out there that are actually interested in learning something new.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

WeepingWillow
on 2/13/13 1:10 am

You're right about that. I was actually sort of surprised that he was being so difficult-but I've never had to challenge him on anything in the past. I just can't risk it with this issue. 

Valerie G.
on 2/13/13 1:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your well-being is too important to be passive about this.  He can get on the wagon or not, but its his choice.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 4:32 am, edited 2/13/13 5:41 am - AL

You won't believe how I get my labs done:

I write my own lab slip.  I've saved it now so it is easy.

I have the labs sent to my surgeon, my gp (who does sign off) and my endo.  If my gp wouldn't sign I would find another way to get a signature.

I go to a hospital lab.  Lab Corp was a nightmare.  They had no idea what they were doing.

The light sensitive labs do NOT have to covered when they draw the blood.  It is something they have to do when they work with the blood.

I do skip my vites the morning of the draw.

Then I post the labs here (all of them because they are not separate labs but things you need to know in context of other labs) along with your labs values and the vets will advise you.

AND the most important thing I have typed on my lab slip is:  RELEASE ALL RESULTS TO PATIENT.  Because getting the results from a doctor is a PITA.

And I don't know which vite you upped to 50k a day but I take 50k of D thrree times a day and STILL can't get near 80.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 529 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 928 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 307 views