Anyone have bile diarrhea or take colestipol?

fattynNC
on 2/14/13 11:40 am
DS on 08/28/12
I was talking to another DS'er tonight about her anus pains and it got me thinking about bile salt diarrhea. After my gallbladder removal many years ago I had bile salt diarrhea for about 20 years and it finally resolved. In the meantime I took colestipol to bind the bile salts.

After talking to this person I am wondering if I am having some bile salt symptoms now along with the DS symptoms and that I am not recognizing the familiar bile salt troubles because the DS made things a little bit different and I have been having the expectation of this kind of trouble after the DS.

Anyone out there taking colestipol after their DS/gallbladder removal? Thoughts?
Herman
on 2/15/13 9:15 am

Now if you had your gallbladder removed 20 years ago, and the problem with bile salt had resolved itself there is no reason to think it would start up again. They did not remove you gallbladder again, so that part of your anatomy is still the same as it was right before your DS surgery.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
fattynNC
on 2/15/13 9:48 am
DS on 08/28/12

Herman, I had a reoccurrence of the bile salt problem after my sigmoid colon was resected in 2010, so I think it could be happening again after this surgery.  The liver produces bile.  It could be that my liver is more taxed after the DS and is making more bile.  It could also be the case that the small amount of sigmoid colon that I have left is more sensitive to the bile since it has been resected. Or it could be a combination of the two.  So although my gallbladder was removed 20 years ago I have had 2 major anatomy changes since 2010 and my liver's situation is certainly different in this weight loss period.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 383 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 839 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views