Lab and protein question

jashley
on 3/16/13 1:19 am
DS on 12/19/12

What test on all the lab tests I just had done will tell me if I'm getting enough protein?  Or if I need to get more?

I was kind of surprised at the lab results so far.  Nothing low, even though I don't take that many vits. 

Thanks for the info

MajorMom
on 3/16/13 1:35 am - VA

You may be living off your vitamin stores, and as soon as you deplete them, your labs will cra****'s harder for a DSr to bring them up once they've crashed--not a good choice. IMO  

The 3 things to look for to determine if you're getting enough protein and nutrients are albumin, protein serum and prealbumin. Albumin is the key and you want to come in the 4s. You want your protein serum at 7 if you can get it there. Prealbumin as near to the top of the range as you can get it.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jashley
on 3/16/13 2:15 am, edited 3/16/13 2:19 am
DS on 12/19/12

Thanks for the info.  I checked my results and do see my albumin is 4.7.  The other 2 numbers are not in yet.

I take 3 multis, D, calcium, magnesium, sublingual B complex (and too much B12), A (vitalady), Proferrin iron (2 broken pills) with vit c, probiotics.

Not a huge list, but kinda the basics.  I wanted to see if anything was dropping in this 3 month test.

Do you suggest I add anything before my next 3 month labs?

Oh, and I do 100mg in prot. shakes, plus any prot that I eat.

MajorMom
on 3/16/13 2:20 am - VA

That's a good basic list until you get all your labs back and can evaluate. I was thinking based on your first comment that you weren't taking much. You really are doing well at 3 months, you're taking a good deal. Keep up the good work.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

jashley
on 3/16/13 2:33 am
DS on 12/19/12

Wow. Thanks for the comment!   

I thought I was slacking off because I bought the Vitalady 30 day packs.  I was measuring my little pack against hers.

At least I am consistent in taking these.  I was all over the map – no diss to the Vitalady. There was a pill in every pack that was a problem for me and I would not take vits for a day or two to get over it.

It dawned on me 2 months out that I needed to pick a scheme and be consistent with it till the first 3 month labs.  Otherwise, I was going to get a list of numbers telling highs and lows and because I didn’t consistently take the same pills every day, I would not know how much to increase or lower.

MajorMom
on 3/16/13 2:41 am - VA

Aww, you're welcome, no problem.  

Sometimes zinc is a problem for people and when they stop taking it, or find one that is a lower dose, they do just fine. If you do decide to go back to Vitalady's daily pre-packaged, see if do better when you pull the zinc out.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

jashley
on 3/16/13 3:19 am
DS on 12/19/12

Vitalady confirmed your guess.  Zinc in that pack was the problem.

I don't take the morning pack with the iron.  I take the iron you told me to switch to.

I will go through the 3rd pack this weekend.  There is a capsule in that one that makes me slime and get so nauseous.

Thanks for all your help on these vits questions.  You have helped me a lot.

TaliTali
on 3/16/13 2:00 pm - Sammamish, WA

I switched to Zinc Picolinate which is MUCH easier on my stomach. I cannot take anything else without major pain every single time I take it (even on a full stomach). 

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

jashley
on 3/16/13 11:23 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Thanks for the tip.  I'll hunt some down.

beemerbeeper
on 3/17/13 8:23 am - AL

Good for you for being proactive, asking the experts for advice and figuring out what works for you!!!!!  Way to go!!!!

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views