A day in the life of a DS'er.........

adstephens23
on 3/16/13 2:05 pm - Norman Park, GA

I am in the planning stage of wls and keep going back and forth from the sleeve to the ds.

I'm 41, 5'4" and weigh 290 and feel that ds is probably the solution for me but need more info.

I know what the books/websites say but I want first hand knowledge of what a day is like for a ds'er.

Meds, meals, good and bad, etc.......... Please help.

Thank you.

TaliTali
on 3/16/13 4:40 pm - Sammamish, WA

The vites & bites threads are good for a daily look at what people are eating. It's not representative of everyone though.

I do one big potty in the morning when I get up, a 630 am protein shake with heavy cream & coffee for breakfast, sometimes a snack around 10 or 11 (two cheese sticks or 1/4 cup nuts), lunch is around noon and is frequently a can of progresso soup, I may have a protein shake around 5pm and then dinner at 8pm or so which is usually a chunk of protein with some veg/starch.

Honestly .. that's it. I take my vitamins with each meal and before bed. I also throw some pills in at breaks. 

Some food upsets my stomach causing some gas and additional potty trips but honestly, it doesn't happen often. I'm 4.5 years out and know what works and what doesn't.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

MajorMom
on 3/16/13 7:53 pm - VA

I think TaliTali is pretty spot on for my lifestyle too.  I do try to walk several times a day to keep my metabolism going. I don't workout in a gym or anything like that. I would suggest following Vitalady's vitamin plan and adjust that as your labs come in. Link: http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 3/17/13 4:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have a giant poo first thing in the morning.

I have alarms to remind me to take vitamins every 2 hours.  I finish my cup by early afternoon.

I nibble and snack throughout the day to get in my 100 g of protein...no organized exercise - just living life.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

beemerbeeper
on 3/17/13 8:28 am - AL

The sleeve will get the weight off, the Switch is what will KEEP it off.  I could always loose weight with some diet or another, but I could never KEEP the weight off.

I had a small regain last year and went up one size of jeans.  I got off the sugar (candy) and back on the low carb, high protein, moderate to high fat diet and lost all that regain and am now wearing my size 4 jeans again.

I can have problems with gas when I eat carbs, lactose, wheat gluten.  Sometimes my system just gets out of whack (almost always because I ate some things I shouldn't have.)  I take a probiotic but sometimes need to get the flora in my gut under control so I take a small round of flagyl. 

I do have to be careful of what I eat but when I'm not my body lets me know.  I LIKE that part of living with the DS. 

~Becky

MsBatt
on 3/17/13 8:46 am

Here's my yesterday:

Two big poos to start the day off, then

First breakfast: 8 slices of bacon, a tomato, a cheese stick. 1st dose of vites

Second breakfast: sliced ham and sweet pickles

Lunch: chicken stir-fry---marinated chicken breast, with red and green peppers, purple onions, and cauliflower, I slice of bread. Second dose of vites

Afternoon snack: slice of home-made banana-nut bread, heavy on the nuts

Dinner: KFC wing and breast, couple tablespoons of mashed potatoes, LOTS of gravy. Third dose of vites

Snack: More KFC meat and gravy

Bedtime: final dose of vites, cheese stick

Throughout the day I also drank roughly a gallon of iced tea, sweetened with Splenda, and I ate an orange somewhere in there. I also planted about a dozen lily bulbs and played with the dogs, things I couldn't have done pre-op.

stromgardgirl
on 3/17/13 10:05 pm
I'm not a normal dser by definition. I don't have ds poos (wish I did at times) and haven't lost at the rate of others or even close to it. I'm happy with life though. I eat throughout the day about every 2-3 hours and get my water and vits in. I know I wouldn't have made this weight otherwise, and honestly didn't do it to be tiny I did it to avoid ending up like my mom. I am a revision from a sleeve. My question to you is: can you lose weight on a diet and keep it off if you put your mind to it? If so sleeve would probably work for you. If not ds is way to go. My body hangs on to everything even with ds.

Crazeru
on 3/18/13 8:35 am

Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic?  Does diabetes run in your family?  If so, go with the the DS not the VSG. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views