question

sheshemaclin
on 4/11/13 4:00 am - IN

hello all. im in the process of having the sleeve done hopefully next month. just wondering if there are alot of vsg to ds switches on this forum. if so, why? thanks in advance for ur responces

celticfaery
on 4/11/13 5:46 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I'm a VSGer to DSer.  I started out at 425.  Lost 189, but then struggled to maintain what I'd lost.  I have major metabolic issues and eventually gained back 117 of what I'd lost.  I allowed old habits to creep back into my diet and then I struggled to get back on the wagon.  I never could duplicate the original weight loss success I had when I was first sleeved and eventually dieted back up to 353 before I finally decided to go ahead with the DS. 

I think the sleeve is a GREAT tool.  But my body and my metabolism (or lack thereof) was working against me.  The DS has helped with the metabolic issues as well as helping me stay away from the foods that was causing me to gain weight again.  But the DS diet also opened up my diet to be able to include more foods that I really had to stay away from with just the Sleeve.  I had to limit red meat and high fat foods because they would cause me to stall or gain.  I also dealt with chronic constipation from the high protein diet.  I don't have that issue anymore with the DS.  I'm 6 months out today and down 83 lbs.

Make sure you do lots of research and make the best informed decision that suites you, your body, and your life the best.  The biggest thing that originally scared me away from the DS was the commitment to taking vitamins.  In all honestly, even VSGers have nutritional deficiencies.  When I was in the hospital for the DS, I was given a vitamin D infusion because it was so low.  VSGers are also at risk for vitamin B deficiencies (which my surgeon told me that we weren't because the intrinsic factor is left intact).  And they are also susceptible to becoming anemic even with the high protein diet.  I know several VSGers who take just as many vitamins as I do now with the DS.  I should have been taking them all along.  So don't let the little things scare you away from the DS.  Knowledge is power!!!

=)

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Valerie G.
on 4/11/13 12:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

They do it because the VSG doesn't get the results they hoped.  The DS finishes the job.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Chrisratcliff
on 4/12/13 8:49 am - MO

I just had my ds on march 14 th  and did tons of research in making that decision... Sooo that being said  I decided if I were going to make this life changing decision I may as well go for the surgery that many seem to get to after trying other surgerys first...seems like many have multiple surgerys over the years and I just want to do this one time.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views