Does the DS become more absorbing over years?

nicholivolkoff
on 4/14/13 1:55 am - Canada

Hi, I read somewhere that after several years, the intestine "learns" to become more absorbing of nutrients and everything else we don't want. Is that true? Do many DS long timers see that change?

MajorMom
on 4/14/13 2:03 am - VA

I think it's a combo of the way we start to eat more carbs and our intestines adapting. I don't know that we ever get the ability to totally absorb micro nutrient vitamins the way we used to, but we do absorb more of the carbs we eat. I know of folks that regained a few pounds years after surgery but their labs are a mess because they stopped their vitamins thinking that because they were getting fat again they must be absorbing the micro nutrients from food again--not true. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

P. Poster
on 4/14/13 2:08 am

Yes, definitely true.  However, with the DS it is to a lesser degree than say the RNY.  You will still malabsorb things to a certain degree, which is why its so important to keep up your vitamins and lab checks and protein consumption.  It is also VERY wise to learn to deal with emotional eating habits and learn a new lifestyle of eating while you ave the benefit of the malabsorption on your side.  I have been able to maintain with just a 10% bounce back from my lowest (and I got down too low) by exercising VERY heavily.  I had an injury over the summer though and was laid up pretty much for about 5 months.  I put on weight FAST because I was still eating like I can when I work out heavily, but I wasnt being active...  Now, Im fighting to get that gain off, rebuild the muscle that atrophied faster than I could EVER imagine, and while it IS easier as a postop to do it, its still work, and NOT like it was the first year after surgery.  I am 3 years out now.  I still dont count calories or fat, all I focus on is making sure I have enough protein and fat to keep things moving (and keep my cholesterol from bottoming out like it did) and I limit carbs.  Carbs are the devil and you will absorb them from day one, especially simple (sugar) carbs...  

airbender
on 4/14/13 8:34 am

yes, the human body is amazing and will fight to survive, but with the ds that bypass is too large for the body to ever be "normal".  while there are no absolutes in medicine, dsers usually achieve intestinal adaptation within 18-24 months post intestinal bypass,   by about that time your body will have adapted the limit it will with your ds reconfiguration. 

nicholivolkoff
on 4/14/13 10:41 am - Canada

I wonder how much is about stomach stretching. Rather than intestines becoming more absorptive, it would be hard to tell unless the stomach was never touched, and all you are going by is the switch. Are there people out there who only get the intestinal work done, without stomach restriction?

P. Poster
on 4/14/13 11:44 am, edited 4/14/13 11:45 am

Yes, that has been done to correct Type II Diabetes in Europe (just the switch portion) for some time.  There is some weight loss associated with it, but nothing like what you experience with the full DS in the first year to 18 months.  The restriction definitely leads that.  

mrsannie
on 4/15/13 2:27 am

That's interesting since we do still absorb sugar.  Did it work?  I assumed much of the reason it works so well for diabetes was the restriction.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
P. Poster
on 4/15/13 10:18 am

yes, its very effective for resolution of Type II.  It has to do with the metabolic shift, not the absorption of sugar.

PattyL
on 4/15/13 1:42 am

There was a study done by a European Doc named Noyes.  He studied switch only patients with short CC's.  The consensus was they lose about 30lbs and then regain it over the nest 2 years.

nicholivolkoff
on 4/15/13 4:10 am - Canada

Wow, if that European study is accurate, it would indicate the VSG is the power behind the DS. I find that hard to grasp. I always thought the switch was the main engine. I sure hope it is, I have a failed sleeve and am getting the switch at the end of the month. I want a power packed switch, even with my stretched out stomach!! (Which they are not revising).

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 473 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 899 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 303 views