Vitamin B Reaction

Karamay
on 4/17/13 6:04 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

OK...so I have been faithfully taking my Vitalady DS pre-packaged vitamins for over a month...just switched from the Bariatric Advantage chewables 'stock' I had.  Over the last week or so, I have started to get a severe red flush in my face & neck that is very itchy.  So I called customer support at Vitalady & they said this was 'Niacin Flush' and that I should half my B-complex pill until my niacin comes up to an acceptable level.  So this past weekend, I stopped taking the B-complex pill all together along with the other B's in the pack....B1 (Thiamine) & B12.  I started back on the B1 & B12 yesterday, and I am all red & itchy again!!!

Has anyone else had this reaction?  If so....what did you do?  I do not want to stop taking the B's altogether...as I love the energy effect....and don't I need them due to the malabsorption?

I just had my lab work done last week & I am waiting to see what my levels are at.

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

P. Poster
on 4/17/13 6:10 am

I cant take the Vitalady B complex or B vitamins at all.  One because of the niacin flush, but more importantly because they cause me SEVERE GI issues.  Bad heartburn, followed by hours of intense cramping, bloating and severe diarrhea for days.  I use the complex from Costco now, with no issues.

MajorMom
on 4/17/13 7:26 am - VA

Some folks have reactions to fillers and original sources of vitamins. Check out some other suppliers such as Vitamin Shoppe or GNC or others as ****** suggested. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 4/17/13 12:12 pm - bay area, CA

It could be a reaction to a filler, or to the coating on the vitamin. Many years, ago, long before my DS, I took multivits from a local drug store that made me throw up. The pharmacist blamed the coating. I switched brands and sure enough, the problem ended.

However, I question whether or not you even need this product. B vitamins are water soluble. The vitamins we malabsorb the most are the fat soluble vitamins. People with gastric bypass actually have more problems with B vitamins than we do, esp B12. I'm over 7 years post-op, still haven't supplemented any B vitamins, and all levels are excellent.

If you don't need them, why take them? Esp if they are causing a problem.

Larra

J G.
on 4/17/13 5:00 pm

I had to stop all B6, in the complex and in the multvitamin.  Too much B6 = nerve damage.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 379 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 828 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views