Help! Understanding malabsoption.

JerseyHouseWife
on 4/25/13 4:57 am - NJ

Here's my final question.

As I get older and develop serious health issues that require the use of medications, will the malabsorption process prevent my body from absorbing these necessary drugs? I asked my doctor and he said that it should not be a problem, but that answer just did not sit well with me. Should I be worried about this or am I just in pre-op "freak-out" phase?

southernlady5464
on 4/25/13 6:49 am

Should not is the operative word :)

Okay, any med that you could possibly ever take needs to be reg, NOT extended release. Also NOT oil based...but other than that, any other meds should be fine.

Hopefully, by having WLS, you delay the serious health issues til you are dead...then it won't matter!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

larra
on 4/25/13 6:50 am - bay area, CA

Sounds like the freak out phase. We know that we have poor absorption of "time release" medications, but other than that we do ok. If there is an issue with a specific medication, maybe seeming to not work as well as it should, your doctor can always order blood levels of that drug to make sure your level is therapeutic, and adjust the dose if it isn't.

Larra

PSaadallah
on 4/25/13 11:16 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Good question - I'm glad you posted it.  This is good information to have.

JerseyHouseWife
on 4/25/13 8:51 pm - NJ

Thank you for the great information. Just want to know what I'm getting into and how my new anatomy will work. It's definitely a lot to take in.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 562 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 950 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 324 views