Revision from VSG to DS

celticfaery
on 5/2/13 3:52 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

JULIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm not sure if you remember me, but we were sleeved around the same time.  I was in June of 07.  So great to see your pretty face!!!

I'm right there with you in struggling for the last few years.  I gained 117 back from my lowest.  I added the switch in October and I've lost 86 lbs.  I was also worried about keeping up with the vitamins (mostly because I hated taking them and never took them when I was sleeved).  But it's not bad at all!  I've been very proactive at keeping up with my vitamins and all of my labs have been good so far.  Just had my 6 month labs on Monday so I should get those results in a few weeks.

My only regret was waiting so long to do this.  I should have done the DS when I quit losing at around 1 year post-VSG, but I thought I could do it on my own with extreme restriction of my diet and exercising like a mad woman.  That got me nowhere fast...  lol!

Now, I actually believe that I will make it to my goal weight.  The diet so different.  Of course it's protein and LOW carbs like before, but now I can eat cheese, sausage, BACON, steak, higher fat foods that gave me chronic constipation with the sleeve now help me go #2.  And being able to eat some of these foods more than makes up for the lack of carbs.  I also became gluten intolerant after the DS.  Which for me, I needed the negative consequence because it was all of those gluten filled foods that helped me gain the weight again.  Now I get REALLY stinky gas and abdominal distention and discomfort when I eat foods like that. 

If you've got questions, I'm an open book.  I'll tell it all!  =)  Keep in touch, chicky!!!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Julie G.
on 5/2/13 6:57 am - Glennallen, AK
VSG on 08/02/07 with

Lauren!! Yes I do remember you from the VSG board! We got our sleeves a couple months apart! It was so nice to see a familiar face on here :) And it was comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who was having problems maintaining my sleeve. I mean I'm not happy that I'm having problems with it, and it's embarrassing that my WLS has failed. I had high hopes for myself with the sleeve, and it was amazing in the beginning, but I can see that it's going to be very hard to maintain with the sleeve. 

I have had 2 babies since having my sleeve, so that put a big strain on it. But it has been a struggle to try and get this excess weight off. I'm going to try really hard to use my sleeve and change my eating habits before committing to the DS. I just talked to DH about it, and he supports me in what ever decision I decide to make. I won't have insurance until this fall, so I'm going to try losing the weight  with my sleeve for at least the next 6 months and see what happens. I have my doubts about how well my sleeve will help me, but I have to at least try!

Did your insurance cover your revision to the DS?

That's great that you are able to maintain your vitamins! I'm hoping that with a good routine that I'd be able to keep up with the vitamins. How much and what kind of calcium are you taking? I've heard you can take liquid calcium too, I wonder if that would be easier to take than the pills?

I think it's awesome that you've been doing so well with your revision! That's awesome that your DS has helped you to steer clear of gluten! It's so hard to stay away from those types of foods, but it's a little easier to not eat them when there are immediate consequences lol. It has to feel wonderful to be losing again and on the track to goal weight! I love hearing and seeing stories like yours and it's definitely helps me to see the bright side of the DS!

I'm going to take take all of this information and think about my options very seriously as I know this is a big commitment! 

Thank you so much for getting in touch with me, and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions to as****ep up the good work Lauren!!

Oh here's one question I'd like to ask, What's a typical day like for you as far as food and vitamin routine? Are you doing protein shakes? How many carbs and proteins are you getting in? 

Thanks again!!

The only thing that stands between you and what you want from life is simply the will to pursue it and the faith to believe it is possible.

T Lady
on 5/2/13 7:32 am, edited 5/2/13 7:33 am

Check out the Bites, Vites, and Exercites post that Major Mom posts everyday.  When people post, it shows me what other DSr's are eating and that there is some accountability involved.  It also gives me more high protein, low-carb ideas to incorporate into my own life.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

celticfaery
on 5/2/13 9:00 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I'm right there with you!  I was so ashamed that I struggled so bad.  I dropped off the boards and just yo-yo'ed.  I just couldn't understand why so many people were doing so well with little regain and I was fighting a losing battle daily.  I knew what it would take for me to keep losing, I just couldn't keep up.  And so I started gaining.  =(

Congrats on the babies!!!!  That's fantastic!

My insurance had no issued with paying for the DS.  I tried doing chewables and liquid calcium, but BLECH!!!  I just couldn't stand it for very long.  I'd much rather swallow a handful of pills and be done with it instead of tasting vitamins for hours after I took them.  I wasted a good bit of money buying that stuff.  I get my calcium from Sam's.  $10 for the petite calcium citrates.  I take 6 a day (2 w/ Breakfast, 2 w/ Lunch, 2 w/ Dinner).  That's 1800 mg's right there.  Not counting what's in my multi.  Most people start with VitaLady's DS pack.  It's pricey...  But I looked at what she recommended and I just started looking around to find the best prices.  Vitacost.com is good and you can find some good deals on Amazon.  There are other sites that offer good deals too. 

It does feel good to be losing again.  I got into a pair of capri's that I haven't been able to wear since the first time I got to my lowest weight in December of 2008.  SOOO happy!!!  I've been fighting for so long.  It's just nice to actually get some results to go along with all the effort again!

Food...  I logged my food today so I could get an accurate number for you. 

B: Jimmy Dean Sausage pack - 4 patties

Babybel White Cheddar - 3 rounds

Snack: Greek Yogurt

L: 10 Little Smokies Sausages

2oz cheddar cheese

Snack: Rice Cake with 1 tbsp Peanut Butter

D: 2 fried eggs on 2 pieces of gluten free toast with butter

Calories: 1600

Fat 142g

Carbs: 38g

Protein: 95g

Normally, I will shoot for 1200-1500 calories.  100g's of fat and 100g's of protein and less than 40 carbs.  We malabsorb fats, protein, and complex carbs.  We only absorb about 20-30% of the fat we take in, 60% of the protein and complex carbs we take in, but we will absorb 100% of simple carbs.  I have found that with having a matured sleeve, I have had no issues with getting my protein in with diet alone and no real need for protein shakes.  I have them occasionally.  My girls like them so we make them since I have soooooo much protein powder.

Each person's vitamin routine will differ depending on their needs.  But I take about 40 pills a day.  A lot of these are just extra doses of the same pill taken throughout the day.  I just purchased a vitamin D that has enough to equal my daily in 1 dose instead of the 5 pills I've been taking.  So that'll get rid of 4 pills there.  I found a better multi that's 2 pills instead of the 4 I'd been taking...  so it's all just about trying to find what works best for you.  I'm still tweaking and learning, but I'll get all the the names and doses together and send you a list tomorrow if you would like.

We are in this together, sister!!!  Hugs!!!!!

nicholivolkoff
on 5/2/13 11:06 am - Canada

I also have VSG fail shame. I ate around it. Don't feel alone, I am sure this is common!

Julie G.
on 5/2/13 4:17 pm - Glennallen, AK
VSG on 08/02/07 with

Thanks for all the great info Lauren! I like getting all the details before I just jump into something and you have painted a clear picture of what it's like as a typical day as a DS'er :)

So did you order vitalady's vitamin pack? Or did you just get your own vitamins and kinda use her list as a guideline?

I'd love to see the list of names and doses of the vitamins that you take :) I would imagine you could get your vitamins pretty cheap at either Sam's or Costco in bulk bottles. That's where I get my vitamins now and they always have good deals.

Thanks so much for all the help and support! Hugs right back at ya! :D

The only thing that stands between you and what you want from life is simply the will to pursue it and the faith to believe it is possible.

celticfaery
on 5/2/13 11:45 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Here's the specifics on what I'm taking.  I'm still tweaking and trying to figure out what I need.  I think this brings my pill count down to 30 a day now since I found some better ones with higher doses.  But I still feel like I'm missing something.  LOL! 

Solaray Dry E – 400 iu

2x’s = 800 iu

Bio-Tech D3-50 – 50,000 iu

1x = 50,000 iu

Vitacost Buffered C Complex – 1,000 mg

2 pills 2x’s = 2,000 mg

Solaray Dry A – 25,000 iu

3x’s = 75,000 iu

Nature’s Life K1 – 1,000 mcg

1x = 1,000 mcg

Nature’s Life K2 – 5,000 mcg

1x = 5,000 mcg

Simply Right Calcium Citrate Petite with Vitamins D3 & K

2 pills 3x’s:

D3 = 1,500 iu

K = 120 mcg

Calcium = 1,200 mg

Solgar Gentle Iron – 25 mg

1x = 25mg

Natrol Biotin – 10,000 mcg

1x = 10,000 mcg

Vitacost Coenzyme B-Complex

2 pills 2x =

Thiamin B1 = 100 mg

Riboflavin B2 = 100 mg

Niacin B3 = 208 mg

B6 = 160 mg

Folic Acid = 1600 mcg

B12 = 1000 mcg

Biotin = 400 mcg

Pantothenic Acid =100 mg

TwinLab Daily One Caps Multi – Without Iron

2x’s:

Vitamin A = 20,000 iu

Vitamin C = 300 mg

Vitamin D = 800 iu

Vitamin E = 200 iu

Thiamin = 50 mg

Riboflavin = 50mg

Niacin = 200 mg

B6 = 50 mg

Folic Acid = 1600 mcg

B12 = 200 mcg

Biotin = 600 mcg

Pantothenic Acid = 100 mg

Calcium = 50 mg

Iodine = 300 mcg

Magnesium = 14.4 mg

Zinc = 30 mg

Selenium = 400 mcg

Copper = 4 mg

Manganese = 10 mg

Chromium = 400 mcg

Vitamin Shoppe Chewable Probiotic

1 tab 3x’s

Cranberry – 500mg

1x = 500 mg

I take the cranberry because I'm prone to bladder infections when I take any type of medication.  So far so good.  =)

D. Switcher
on 7/31/14 7:59 pm
On May 3, 2013 at 6:45 AM Pacific Time, celticfaery wrote:

Here's the specifics on what I'm taking.  I'm still tweaking and trying to figure out what I need.  I think this brings my pill count down to 30 a day now since I found some better ones with higher doses.  But I still feel like I'm missing something.  LOL! 

Solaray Dry E – 400 iu

2x’s = 800 iu

Bio-Tech D3-50 – 50,000 iu

1x = 50,000 iu

Vitacost Buffered C Complex – 1,000 mg

2 pills 2x’s = 2,000 mg

Solaray Dry A – 25,000 iu

3x’s = 75,000 iu

Nature’s Life K1 – 1,000 mcg

1x = 1,000 mcg

Nature’s Life K2 – 5,000 mcg

1x = 5,000 mcg

Simply Right Calcium Citrate Petite with Vitamins D3 & K

2 pills 3x’s:

D3 = 1,500 iu

K = 120 mcg

Calcium = 1,200 mg

Solgar Gentle Iron – 25 mg

1x = 25mg

Natrol Biotin – 10,000 mcg

1x = 10,000 mcg

Vitacost Coenzyme B-Complex

2 pills 2x =

Thiamin B1 = 100 mg

Riboflavin B2 = 100 mg

Niacin B3 = 208 mg

B6 = 160 mg

Folic Acid = 1600 mcg

B12 = 1000 mcg

Biotin = 400 mcg

Pantothenic Acid =100 mg

TwinLab Daily One Caps Multi – Without Iron

2x’s:

Vitamin A = 20,000 iu

Vitamin C = 300 mg

Vitamin D = 800 iu

Vitamin E = 200 iu

Thiamin = 50 mg

Riboflavin = 50mg

Niacin = 200 mg

B6 = 50 mg

Folic Acid = 1600 mcg

B12 = 200 mcg

Biotin = 600 mcg

Pantothenic Acid = 100 mg

Calcium = 50 mg

Iodine = 300 mcg

Magnesium = 14.4 mg

Zinc = 30 mg

Selenium = 400 mcg

Copper = 4 mg

Manganese = 10 mg

Chromium = 400 mcg

Vitamin Shoppe Chewable Probiotic

1 tab 3x’s

Cranberry – 500mg

1x = 500 mg

I take the cranberry because I'm prone to bladder infections when I take any type of medication.  So far so good.  =)

Hi. What is the source of this Nutrition Plan? Did it work for you?

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

celticfaery
on 7/31/14 10:38 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I took the recommended doses from previous DSers as a foundation.  Factoring in our malabsorption can be tough.  So regular labs and adjustments made over time as a result has given me my current vitamin plan.  Currently, this is working VERY well for me.  My labs are spot on.

Hope this helps!

Nicolle
on 5/2/13 4:46 am

I am five years out and I won't lie--vitamins suck. On the other hand, being really fat or dying from malnutrition sucks more. 

I take about 12-14 pills a day (8 calcium, 1-2 D, B-complex). I get the occasional iron infusion, so I do not take oral iron.

I try to be super-compliant, but then I backslide a couple of times a year and take only a minimal amount of vitamins. It's usually when life gets super-busy (which ironically is when I probably need my health the most!). 

My labs are still good, but I see some erosion in my D and calcium that I need to be vigil about.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 988 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1173 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 454 views