Revision from VSG to DS

Julie G.
on 5/2/13 4:27 pm - Glennallen, AK
VSG on 08/02/07 with

You do make a good point, I'd rather take a handful of vitamins everyday if it means I will be healthy, happy, and feel great about myself!

Congrats on being 5 years out and maintaining!

The only thing that stands between you and what you want from life is simply the will to pursue it and the faith to believe it is possible.

hollykim
on 5/2/13 8:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I had my VSG 3 years ago and revised to DS 2 months ago. I had no trouble recovering from either surgery.

The DS diet is very different ,high protein,high fat and low carbs. We need to eat about 3000 cals a day to account for the malabsorption but I have only been able to get in about 1200 a day and that is with eating every hour by setting my phone alarm. I mean EVERY hour. Fat ,we malasorb a good bit so we need to eat high fat to account for that.

CARBS on the other hand,we absorb 100% of those so if they are a problem for you now,they will be a problem after a DS too.  They are a problem for me also and i pretty much have to work an abstinance program with them,I just can't eat any.

Carbs,sugar,fruit anything doughy will give you the most hellacious gas you have every smelled. I mean burn your nostrils bad. And some get diarrhea that is also hellacious smelling.

As far as vits go, you should have already been taking some,so it is no big deal to add some more. But you need to decide you will take them,the rest of your life before you get a DS or you will be signing your death warrant. there is no maybe,or being wishy washy about vitamins it is either yes or no and if it is no,then don't go there.

Julie G.
on 5/2/13 4:21 pm - Glennallen, AK
VSG on 08/02/07 with

Is it all fruits that give you really bad gas? Or only ones high in sugar?

Thanks for being straight with me, and not sugar coating the life of a DS'er. It is something to be taken very seriously, especially the vitamin commitment!

The only thing that stands between you and what you want from life is simply the will to pursue it and the faith to believe it is possible.

celticfaery
on 5/2/13 10:58 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I eat strawberries regularly and never had any gas issues there.  I eat the ocasional apple and I had a mango the other day...  again no gas.  But I had a tiny bite of a biscuit last night and I cleared out the room for a few hours...  LMAO!

I'm guessing that it could be different for each person. 

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

hollykim
on 5/7/13 7:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

i eat mostly berries if I eat fruit,and have actually noticed the gas is not as bad with fruit now as when I was early out. so it may have been an intestinal adjusting thing for me early out.

But,bread,especially sweet breads,cookies cake etc still give me gas bombs.

Yes the vits are very important,but after 3 yrs with the VSG and taking vits then,a few more was not a biggie to me.  i just do them and get them over with 4 times a day.

lisamontreal
on 5/2/13 1:39 pm - Canada
Hi guys. So happy to finally find others who have had the ds as a second stage! I was sleeved in 2010,lost 150lbs. Was stable...or stalled for 1 year and just had ds last week!
Few questions:
What s up with the gas?lol..does it get better or is.it trial and error to see what works for me?

How much or how fast did.you guys lose? What should I expect?

What do you suggest I eat in these first weeks post op?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Julie G.
on 5/2/13 4:29 pm - Glennallen, AK
VSG on 08/02/07 with

Congrats on your new DS! It's always nice to hear from others who are in the same boat :) 

celticfaery
on 5/2/13 11:03 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Yogurt!!!  I lived off yogurt the first week post-op.  Definitely helped regulate bowels faster, I think.  I never had any accidents or ever came close.  But definitely don't trust a fart this early out.  =)

The first week I didn't lose much.  But as time progressed, I did start losing.  I've found that I lost at about the same rate I did when I was first sleeved.  The percentages have been neck and neck.  I'm almost 7 months out (on the 11th) and I've lost 86 lbs.  Stalled for the last 2 weeks...  But that's pretty normal for me.

Check and make sure what you are eating does not contain gluten!  Read labels!  Avoid soups from restaurants...  lord knows what they put in there.  Do "cream of..." type soups mixed with a little heavy cream and sip. 

Welcome to the Dark Side!!!  =)

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

hollykim
on 5/7/13 8:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Well gas,lol. because food hits our intestines much more quickly,all thew processing also starts quickly and there is no time for the body to work a lot of the gas out as it moves thru feet and feet of intestines,so we get the gas quick and full on.

Most of us have gas when we eat bready carbs,cake cookies,bread etc.  it is,for sure,trial and error. as long as I am carb free,i have no problem and the ppop is not that bad smelling either. with carbs,watch out!

I am not losing as quickly as I expected ...12# in 2 months. I fu;lly expected to lose twice that much and be at goal by now,but um,no.

I was very frustrated early on,but have recently decided to look at the positive. I AM losing,no matter how slowely,i am losing again and I couldn't lose hardly anything the last year of my VSG in spite of being fully on plan.

I fina;lly realized that dairy was stopping my loss pre DS and after cutting it out,lost 6# in 6 months.

Dairy is also stopping my weight loss post DS soi I am back off it till goal. I can eat a small amt cheese but no milk butter etc. I found out milk and whey protein powder was causing me to have bloat too.

My first weeks post op Ds were more of a struggle than I expected. My sleeve gets really tight when I don't feel well and I guess recovering from surgery falls in the not feeling well,lol.

I relied on soup,cottage cheese,greek yogurt and soft eggs.

Honestly,now at 2 months out I have to eat every hour by my phone alarm to get even 1000 cals a day in. My sleeve is small compared to a one step DS'er so I literally eat all day,every hour.

GL I am not sorry I converted and now have hope again thaT i wILL GET TO GOAL.

PRETTE84
on 5/3/13 12:53 pm - ROSEDALE, NY
Has anyone gained weight from DS just curious? I'm thinking to have revision surgery done from RNY to DS but I have a huge problem with sweets. Anyone who has had DS and have a problem with eating too much sweets please respond. Thanks in advance
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 988 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1173 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 454 views