Revision Fears

Louteg
on 5/28/13 12:16 pm

Hi all, 

I had a Lap band done in 2007 by Dr. Rangraj at Sound shore Medical Center in New Rochelle NY. The band work for 1 year I lost 80lbs between throwing up every day and monitoring everything I put in my mouth.   The second year I lost zero lbs, it was a struggle to just keep food down so I had a partial un-fill from 9cc to 5cc.  I gain 25lbs back. Year three I spend experimenting with the right fill amount; I work out 7 day a week ran 4 miles each day. I gain 20lbs OMG!  To make matters worse I was throwing up in my sleep, I became terrify of going to sleep, my last meal of the day I had to be by 1pm if I wanted to go to bed  10 pm.  As I entered my 4th year band anniversary all I wanted was the band out, but I m terrify of not having it. I had gain back the 80lbs I lost plus 7 more, the high blood pressure was back, the heart arrhythmia, the migraines, and the back and knee pains.  OMG I was back to square one. So I decided I had to get the band out and have a different procedure; I went to see my surgeon he said to have a complete un-fill and wait 3 months.  During the three months I went to the ER three times for high blood pressure, I had to start physical therapy for my knee I can barely walk, and had a coronary angiogram to check for blockage.  After living with this for three years I decided to take my band out, and have the DS.  The surgeon who did my band does not do the DS after some research I am having the DS on June 20th with Dr. Mitchell Roslin at Northern Westchester Hospital.  Unlike the band I am scared, what if I fail again, what if I can keep up with the vitamins. So may what ifs. Help!!!!

fattynNC
on 5/28/13 12:47 pm
DS on 08/28/12

If you can make it through 3 years of the crap band, you can certainly rock the DS.  There is something about the lap-band that is unreal.  I was doing great and at exactly 2-1/2 years after I got the band the weight starting flying back on.  I could not do a thing to stop it.  I could eat 3 bites of food at a time because I was so tight, yet I still gained huge amounts of weight very quickly.  I never could figure it out.  You will lose more slowly with the DS as a revision but in my opinion revisions lose weight for a longer period of time.  And most DSers blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol start improving almost immediately after surgery.  Good luck- you'll do great- It's SO MUCH BETTER than the band.

Irishnurse
on 5/28/13 2:56 pm, edited 5/29/13 12:30 am
DS on 04/17/13

I had that POS band in me for 7 years. During that time I only lost 40 pounds. Thanks to the band I had EXTREME GERD and Esophageal spasms that were extremely painful. I lost all my back teeth and just recently a canine Due to the erosion from puking several times a day for 7 years. (even with the fluid out I puked). The band was horrible and I wanted it gone. I gained back all my weight and about 100 pounds more. Wound up sicker than I was before and fatter. The extreme strain on my body from only eating 700 calories a day cause me to go into starvation mode. My thyroid freaked out and now I am on thyroid meds. So like you I decided to get a revision to the DS. I was afraid that it would not work. 

IT works. 5 weeks out I am 30 pounds down without hardly trying. I eat every two hours. I watch my carbs and I lose weight. My esophageal spasms are cured. My GERD is under control and I feel healthier than I have in 15 years from all the damn vits and protein I am taking. My nails and hair are so thick and my allergies are better. The bathroom issue can be a setback if you don****ch what you eat but it does get better with time. It is doable. I am very happy with the DS. Don't you worry. It works. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 5/28/13 3:49 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Heck.  I feel calmer now.... and I already have a DS.

Louteg
on 5/29/13 2:33 am

Hi Irishnurse,

I have bad bathroom issues now from my band, because I am not eating enough. I am looking forward to not throwing up every day.

airbender
on 5/28/13 6:38 pm

if you weren't scared there would be something wrong with you.  i had the band for 8 years... to say that my life was a nightmare the last 2 years would be putting it very mildly, .i had so much permanent damage Roslin would not do my revision at westchester it had to be at lennox hill and i had to have the band removed for a few months first before anyone would touch me.  what you are scared about it all normal stuff.  I lost > 200 lbs with the band, went down to about 127 lbs......i know very well about your waking up in the night barfing....don't worry about the pills....take one day at a time...........don't worry, Roslin is a great surgeon, love him, he gave me my life back...when is your surgery?  PM me....I can tell you what to expect....

Louteg
on 5/29/13 2:25 am

Hi Airbender

My surgery is on June 20th,  and I will PM you,

Thanks

Corbin Y.
on 5/28/13 6:53 pm - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Choosing to revise your band to a DS makes a lot of sense, especially with the complications you were having with the band!  I had DS with Dr. Roslin two months ago.  I can assure you that he is fantastic, and does many revisions.  You are in good hands!

Louteg
on 5/29/13 2:01 am

Hi Corbin,

That is  so good to know.

PattyL
on 5/29/13 2:32 am

I was never banded but I've read a lot.  Seems to me the DS is easier to live with than the band.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 631 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 985 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views