OK, that sucked.... (TMI!)

meq815
on 6/3/13 11:59 pm - PA

5 weeks post op, missed the toilet for the first time.  Slept in a little (returning to work soon, 9:30 is a luxury for me), made it to the toilet, but not onto the toilet.  Very upset.  Now I'm afraid to go back to work.

Yesterday I went to a buffet lunch, had a nibble of a few different asian foods- beef, pork, chicken...my belly rumbled all night.  I'm thinking there may have been hidden carbs?  Also, yesterday I started my chewable calcium.

Any thoughts?

clutterbunny
on 6/4/13 12:44 am - CA

Hi!  My first and thankfully only accident was at the grocery store.  At least you were at home!

I'm guessing maybe hidden carbs in the sauces at the buffet? Just my $0.02.

:-)

kathy215
on 6/4/13 12:53 am
You are still so early post op. I wouldn't be doing a buffet just yet. Try to stick to 1 food at a time until your stomach had time to adjust to its new life. I am almost 2 1/2 years post op ( wow time flies) and only had 1 mishap and that wasn't a biggie but eating a variety of diff foods at one sitting may make your stomach upset

Good luck
kathy215
on 6/4/13 12:54 am
Just an idea. Maybe carry and extra pair of undies and an extra pair of pants with you and some wet wipes.
jashley
on 6/4/13 1:24 am
DS on 12/19/12

I carry a change of clothes, an old rag that I will toss after clean up, and wet wipes in my car. 

I've had 1 accident - when I trusted a fart while driving home.  Never trust a fart.

When I went back to work, I ate cleanly the week before.  I set the alarm clock and got up as if I was going to work.  I figured out how long it took me to get going in the mornings.  I go multiple times in the a.m. - so I wanted to get my system into a rhythm every day so work wasn't such a fearful issue.  It's hard enough to go back to work without worrying about my bowels.  Eat the same low carb foods, get your vitamins going (that will also firm things up), eat yogurt or take pro-biotics, get plenty of rest.  You will not have any issues at all.

I have discovered that Asian buffets tend to have a lot of deep fried meats - so that's going to grease your skids, and the sauces have sugar in them - and that's going to make your bowels rumble.  Combine the two - sugar and fried foods - and you need to get moving when you feel the first urge.  Don't linger... run!

on 6/4/13 7:10 am

NICE ADVISE AND GOOD HUMOR TOO

VSG TO DS REVISION 

Irishnurse
on 6/4/13 3:03 am
DS on 04/17/13

I feel ya. I had hot and sour soup yesterday. I checked the carbs before eating it. I have been on the toilet on and off since last night and have not even attempted work today, yet. I have to go in soon and see my patients but I am still having issues. I won't touch that soup again. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

meq815
on 6/4/13 3:48 am - PA

Thanks all....and, yes, I am thankful I was in my own home....ALONE!

I'm also so thankful for this forum....apparently, I am not alone here! wink

meq815
on 6/4/13 3:54 am - PA

Another thought....what about isomalt?  I have been reading a lot about intolerances to sugar alcohols.  Is this one of them?  I have been sucking on sugar free LifeSavers for about 2 weeks....

jashley
on 6/4/13 10:37 am
DS on 12/19/12

You could be developing a sensitivity to sugar alcohols.  I've read about people who have done that after surgery. 

I think about that some times, and remind myself not to constantly eat a lot of the things that can become an allergy or sensitivity issue.  I love strawberries and will eat 2 large bowls a day if not restrained.  Chocolate is another.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 796 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views