When do I get my first labs EXACTLY???

dustycroy
on 7/8/13 4:13 am
DS on 05/14/13

Do I get my FIRST three month labs, three months from my surgery date?  or  Three months from when I first started taking my vitamins properly???   Thanks all.....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

clpeltz
on 7/8/13 5:18 am

Three months from surgery date.  Then 6, 9 and 12 months the first year.  The every 6 months thereafter.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

clutterbunny
on 7/8/13 8:47 am - CA

I got mine at 6 months.  I'm at almost a year, so I'm sure he'll want them again soon...

Kandrus
on 7/8/13 8:48 am
DS on 05/28/13

Similar question... My NP ordered labs at one month.  The blood was drawn today, but it was only 2 vials instead of the 8 or so that were done for pre-op.  I called the office, and they said that was right.  My appt is Thursday to get the results.  Should I ask/expect the more extensive test to be done at 3 months?

angryHW 265 SW 255 CW 190 (9/30/13)

A. C
on 7/8/13 9:33 am

3 months from surgery date.  Then every 3 months, unless you are watching something specific, for the first year or two.

I just got my new 2 mo labs.  I'm a happy camper!

vitalady
on 7/8/13 12:18 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
It depends entirely on your doc or his clinic. Ours were at 3 months until they started to stabilize, so when we had managed to get most levels in their happy place.

Our insurance is kinda iffy, so we cut back to 6 months when we didn't have the better insurance we had sometimes. Small business in WA state - not as many options. When Don's company was eaten by a merger, we had fabulous insurance. That was the good news., Bad news, they merged 5 tiny companies, so heads had to roll. sigh

Our ins now is very good, as long as there is no association with ANY weight loss methods, at all. Even Weigh****chers or such.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

PeteA
on 7/9/13 12:49 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

My doctor does 6 months and a year. I got my PCP to run some 3 month labs. Not a full spectrum but just what he thought and I made sure he included calcium, protein, and D. More for a baseline against the full panel at 6 months.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

MsBatt
on 7/9/13 1:25 am

3 months, 22 hours, and 14 minutes after leaving the OR.

LOL---it's not really that big a deal. At 3 months out, it's not uncommon for your labs to be all over the place. My surgeon didn't even do any until I was 6 months out. You have to realize that your body has stores of many things, so deficiencies probably aren't going to show up until you've had time to 1) deplete those stores, and 2) not be taking enough of the right thing. At this point, just stick as closely as possible to Vitalady's recommendations.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views