Tomorrow!!

SHFT_2
on 7/27/13 9:04 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

My day is finally just a day away.   I'm still pretty nervous but so excited as well. I've lost 26 pounds since June 5th just pre-op. I hit a wall after 4.5 pounds on my two week pre-op diet but the weight loss kicked in again finally and I've lost 4 pounds in the last two days making 10.5 since I started my two week pre-op diet. Reading about all the success you have all had gives me so much to look forward to.

I'm really nervous about something going wrong with surgery and the blood clot risk. I know its all a very small chance but they have me so paranoid. They want me to walk 5-10mins every hour after surgery just to be safe. I don't have any problems that would raise my risk but when someone tells me a risk I become a nervous nelly. Any idea how long the risk of blood clot is higher? The 2-4 weeks it takes to heal I assume?

I'm also worried I'll be one of the cases for whatever reason they can not do the complete DS in one shot. I want more than anything to have it all done and get on with the weight loss.

Well I'm ready for this anyway. I'm not one to sit around being off work so I plan to go back to work after a week. Hopefully I have an uneventful surgery and don't have any major issues so I can go back as planned. I don't do anything strenuous just office work so I figure if I have to keep moving at home I might as well be doing it at work and get paid.

So my next post with be POST OP mail

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

MajorMom
on 7/27/13 9:13 pm - VA

Wishing you all the best. Just keep walking...  My understanding is the 1st 2 weeks post-op is the time to be most aware of issues but if you want to return to work after only a week, best to walk a lot and drink lots of water and protein. I was able to go back 1/2 days after 2 weeks and I was 52 years old. If you're younger and more healthy than I was, 1 week recovery may be doable, not that I'd advise it but might be doable. 

If you want to ensure the doc does everything he/she can to give you both parts, make that perfectly clear in your immediate pre-op paper work. My surgeon's policy was if he couldn't do the full DS laporascopically, he had my permission to convert to an open procedure. There was no agreement to do only the sleeve or convert to RNY. If you don't want either of those, only agree to DS or nothing, laporascopic or open if required.

Good luck!!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

SHFT_2
on 7/27/13 10:13 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks. It's Dr. Kemmeter and if for any reason he can't complete the DS he would only do the sleeve until I lost more weight and he could go back in and fini****rust his judgment on if it should be done once he's in there I just really hope its an easy choice to do it all and be done with it.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

meq815
on 7/27/13 11:10 pm - PA

Good luck tomorrow!  Hard to believe it's finally here, right?

The highest chance of developing blood clots is immediately post op, until about a month or so after, so just keep moving.  It will actually feel good to get up and move around periodically,  I worked with a young girl (from your prof pic, you look pretty young) *****turned to work 1 week post RNY.  She said it was "pretty brutal", but she did do it.

Looking forward to your post op posts!

SHFT_2
on 7/28/13 1:22 am - Grand Rapids, MI

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 7/27/13 11:43 pm, edited 7/27/13 11:44 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Yay!! I'm just 8 days behind you. :)  

Good luck! Stop focusing on what can go wrong. Visualize a perfect recovery and concentrate on how that will feel. There's no use worrying about every little thing! Just make sure you follow your doctor's orders and you will be fine. :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm excited for you!! kiss

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

SHFT_2
on 7/28/13 1:23 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks! The 8 days will fly by. It felt so soon but felt like it would take forever and now all the sudden its here.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

ladybug513
on 7/28/13 1:22 am - NY

Best of luck tomorrow!!  I had my surgery on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Tuesday.  Really concentrated on liquids and not getting dehydrated instead of getting enough protein in for the first two weeks and I was basically fine.  Just extremely tired which is to be expected until healing is almost done--perhaps two months.

I'm soooo excited for you!

SHFT_2
on 7/28/13 1:25 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks for the boost of confidence on getting back to work. I don't generally let things keep me down so I'm sure I'll manage with some determination.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

Irishnurse
on 7/28/13 3:54 am
DS on 04/17/13

I wish you the best and praying for you! You can do this. Make sure they give you Reglan and Toradal after to help with the stomach nausea and swelling. It will help with the pain more than pain meds. 

You are on your way to a new life!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 707 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1017 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views