what I am doing wrong with my DS

Louteg
on 8/8/13 12:22 pm

I spent the day trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my DS.   I  Google DS diet and I read a variety of DS blogs.  The problem is I have no clue how I am suppose to eat with my DS; today I had 590 cal, 17g of fat, 27g of carbs and 80g of protein. My surgeon at my last visit just told to make sure I get 80-100 grams of protein, my NUT say to make sure I take my Vites, and follow the stages on the paper. I do not have an appointment until September I’ll be 3 month post by then.  I walk 3 days a week for 90 min 3.5mph, strength training 2 days a week, I drink 40 oz of water a day (improvement from a week ago) and I lose 2.5lbs a week.  Things are not bad, but I wonder due my malabsorption as a DSer am I eating enough fat? Am I eating enough calories? I know I need more protein, instead of 1 shake I have to do two a day. I am just wondering as a DSer is it a high protein, high fat, low-carb way of life or what I have been doing, low fat, low carb high protein.   I need some guidance,

Thanks

hayley_hayley
on 8/8/13 1:51 pm

Wow. You are really keeping track.  I am sure you have heard that, A watched pot doesn't boil.  Be careful not to stress yourself out too much - your body might think you are starving it and hold on to weight. 

I lost 202 pounds and what I did is high fat, high protein, and low carb.  I did not eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes for the first 10 months. I cheated occasionally with bread but only when I went out to dinner (I never brought it into my house). 

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

Louteg
on 8/9/13 1:51 am

Hi Hayley,

I keep track because I am a grasser, I'll eat all day if I do not track what I put in my mouth.  I just feel lost; with my band I starve myself and eat only slider food, so now I am not sure what I should be doing. 

hayley_hayley
on 8/9/13 6:03 am

Eating all day is fine if it is protein. Avoid the carbs as much as possible.

Also, if you are not hungry - don't eat.  It is the habitual eating that I struggle the most with - eating just to eat. Or feeling like I have to be stuffed to be full.

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

dustycroy
on 8/8/13 3:06 pm
DS on 05/14/13

The only thing I watch is carbs, and protien, thats it.  Not calories, or fats.  I feel so much freedom with the DS.  Except for carbs.  All the other surgeries it is like you are on the regular diet that we have all been on a thousand times before, and have to watch everything. Do you have a longer common channel?  Sometimes it takes a little longer if you do.  Im not a quick looser either.  Mines 100cm, wish it was 75cm.  I loose a few pounds then I stay the same for a couple of weeks.  I just try to remember, "Its not a sprint, its a marathon".  That helps me when I feel frustrated....  Good Luck!

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Louteg
on 8/9/13 2:02 am

Hi Dustycroy,

My Common Chanel is 125 cm that the standard for Dr. Roselin; he does it that length to minimizes bowl issues and malabsorption issues.  I choose the DS because my co-morbidities got worst with the regain, to compound the issues I was having severe issues with the lap band;  I know I need more than just restriction to lose the weight and I wanted to eat as close to normal as possible. I know I am a slow loser I am just letting my frustration get to me.  Thanks

donna39
on 8/9/13 7:59 am - FL
Hello, I have a question is there anything different you can eat on your full liquids stage, or what did you eat on phase 2?

Donna SW- 363   CW- 326  GW- 230              VS 04/25/2013 Dr. M. Jawad

fullhousemom
on 8/8/13 9:54 pm

I just read your profile.  You had a revision from lapband on June 20, correct?  If you are losing 2.5 lbs per week you are doing wonderfully.  I am not sure what you think is "wrong" with your DS.  Your diet looks fine for someone two months out from a revision.  You are probably building muscle with all the exercising you are doing.  I have to assume you have noticed a loss in inches around your body.

Why do you think something is wrong?

Louteg
on 8/9/13 2:14 am

Hi Fullhousemom,

I am able to wear a size 20 now from a 24 two months ago, my energy is up I feel good physically. I have a horrible relationship with food so I have to be on my guard at all times, because of that I feel like I am doing something wrong. Also I am eating the same amount of calories I eat with my band and I gained 83 lbs, I just do not want to fail again.

Irishnurse
on 8/8/13 11:40 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I am a lap to DS revision. Here is my opinion. I was in starvation mode while I was a bandster and it ruined my metabolism. Increase your calories if you can or quit worrying about them. Keep your carbs at 50g or less. Make sure you get in 100-150 protein a day. I drink three shakes if I cannot do it with food. Eat more fat. Eat every two to three hours. 2.5 pounds a week is not bad by the way at all. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 624 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 984 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 334 views