Im thinking possible kidney stones... Now what? Worried about calcium intake.....

dustycroy
on 9/28/13 11:31 am
DS on 05/14/13

a little over four months out and Im worried that I have kidney stones....  Ive had them in the past Once, before I had my DS.  I know what the begining stages feel like so Im 99 percent sure thats what it is.  This is one of the things I was concerened about before I had the DS.  I stopped taking my calcium today.  I see my Dr. next week and he will be ordering my first labs.  I know, I know, but I couldnt have them done at three months because of insurance problems.  Anyway, if im already getting kidney stones from taking so much calcium, what am I going to do?  I mean I cant go around with kidney stones all of the time.  Can I use something like that patch that they show on tv called Boniva?  Im really worried, theres has got to be a way around this....  Vets???

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

leanonme
on 9/28/13 12:52 pm

You need to have the stones tested.  IF they are calcium oxalate stones you need MORE calcium, not less.  It helps if you take the calcium with food to give it something to bind to and make sure you are taking magnesium citrate with them, not magnesium oxide.  Drink as much as you can and add lemon to everything you drink if possible.

dustycroy
on 9/29/13 6:20 am
DS on 05/14/13

So do I need to eat real food , or will a protien drink suffice?  Thats how I usually take my vits   Thank you

MajorMom
on 9/28/13 7:16 pm - VA

I agree with "leanonme".  Also, get your vitamin D3 up there close to 100 on your labs, take your mag citrate capsule with every calcium dose, add boron and vitamin K2. Low D3 can decrease your calcium absorption. I hope you can get this sorted out ASAP. I don't wish kidney stones on anyone.  : (

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

stillhoping
on 9/29/13 3:50 am - Tampa, FL

Gina,

How much Boron and how much K2?

Terry

MajorMom
on 9/29/13 4:13 am - VA

I take a little 3mg tablet of boron with each calcium dose and I take a total of 600 mcg a day of K2. I just take the K2 with my big AM and PM vitamin batches. I take so much K2 for my osteopenia, which is an improvement. I had osteopenia pre-op and slipped into osteoporosis post-op, so it's better now. Something is working.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

stillhoping
on 9/29/13 4:15 am - Tampa, FL

Thanks Gina!

Terry

dustycroy
on 9/29/13 6:17 am
DS on 05/14/13

Im on vitaladys plan, but was hoping that after labs I could change my multi vit, and not have to do her full plan, "expensive".  How much mag citrate should I add?  and will it help dissolve the exsisting stones that i have?  Is it something I have to buy "dry" from Vitalady?  or can I find elsewhere?   So am I hearing you right when you talk about boron and k2 helping in the long run with kidney stones? through increased calcium absorbtion.  This stuff is so important to know and my A.D.D. is kicking in and Im really trying to retain everything everyone is telling me.  I know it is so important...   Thank you so much....

MajorMom
on 9/29/13 7:11 am - VA

My response about boron, mag citrate and K2 with your calcium was just talking about better calcium absorption. I guess it would be a jump to associate that with dissolving existing stones. Do follow up with your doc and see what is the best approach.  
You can get mag citrate in capsules from VitaminShoppe, I'm not sure of other outlets, I primarily stay with Vitalady but ran out of mag cit once and found it at VitaminShoppe. Less capsules per bottle and less miligrams per capsule...probably more expensive than Vitalady. Your multi can be just about anything. It's a little safety net for various micro nutrients-- nothing special about the multi.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

airbender
on 9/29/13 12:33 am

as a dser our chances for stones is increased due to fat malabsorption....see a nephrologist, you sould have as part of your yearly lab work to test for 24 hr urine (stone former panel) you 24 hr urine is most likely low in citrate and high in oxalate which is typical for dser, since we have enteric hyperoxaluria and hypocitraturia, which is treated with RX:   K citrate, again this is typical, I have been taking the RX for years....post DS, before ds i was normal....again see a nephrologist now....good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 340 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 801 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 269 views