Yet another vitamin question

stillhoping
on 9/29/13 4:09 am - Tampa, FL

I take One A Day 50+ Health Advantage multi vit and it has a pink coating on it.  I break my Proferrin like all suggest and I have been breaking the multi.  Is it necessary to break the multi?

Terry

MajorMom
on 9/29/13 4:15 am - VA

I think that's a good idea. I break any tablet with a detectable coating just to make sure I get the medication inside.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 9/29/13 6:21 am

I've never broken or crushed a pill yet.

airbender
on 9/29/13 7:57 am

i think it is better to break pills, but dammm i get sick of breaking mine, i usually do it with my fingers but i get sick of doing that, and now hardly ever do...but i still think it is best...having so many pills (10 rx/day on top of ds vit/min) my fingers are going to break.....or even a pill splitter takes forever....

fullhousemom
on 9/30/13 8:24 am
I bite my pills in half to assure proper absorption. I only take two pills.....the rest are capsules.

I had a bad experience with some calcium tablets early on. I was having stomach pains, and thru a process of eliminating things and adding them back, I determined it was the calcium pills (which can be quite large).

The best way I can describe the pain, is that it felt like something was stuck in my pylorus valve. It would throb then relax. Throb then relax. Throb then relax. It happened about one hour after I took my calcium. It was very painful.

The experience taught me that what I put in my mouth, is likely going to pass out of my stomach in about an hour. Does that give the stomach enough time to break down the coating? I also learned to always take my vites with food, even if the calcium says you dont need to. And I've switched to capsules. These changes, while certainly not statistically or medically proven, give me the best assurance that my vites will get absorbed.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 844 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1097 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 369 views