help with protein

skybabe34
on 11/6/13 11:25 pm

I'm fairly new. I had surgery 10/14/13 and am currently on soft/pureed foods. I am barely getting in one protein shake a day. I know I need more, but I just hit a point where I couldn't stand them. I have purchased some new flavors/brands and that is how I am up to the 1/day. I'm not eating much, maybe a couple of tablespoons of mashed beans with a little shredded cheese. I'm at least trying to eat things that have protein, but I know it's not enough. My first follow up is a week for today. Any suggestions for getting more protein in?

Thank you!

TxKev
on 11/6/13 11:30 pm - Haslet, TX

Don't worry too much, get in what you can.  It took me several weeks before I could get in the 100+ grams of protein.  I did drink the Isopure clear liquid protein drinks 50 grams per bottle, that did help to get the protein levels up!

T Lady
on 11/7/13 2:31 am
I think a lot of us followed the rule of 30 grams of protein the first 30 days, next goal was 60 grams by 60 days and 90 by 90. I wouldn't push much past that.

I also really hated all of the protein drinks post op. They all had a chemical taste and made me nauseous. The Syntrax Nectars were especially disgusting to me and I wasted a lot of money on those. The only protein that still doesn't make me nauseous has like 2 ingredients, and I can sweeten or flavor to my liking. I actually mix it up with half and half to create my own coffee creamer. I get 53 grams of protein just in my coffee before I even leave the house. You could start with one scoop/25 grams. I use NOW brand unflavored whey protein isolate. My husband in a normie and also is sensitive to protein and this is the only one that he tolerates well too. It's high quality stuff and reasonably priced on Amazon. He puts some almond milk, 2 scoops of protein, PB, and low carb chocolate syrup in a blendar and it's a yummy chocolate peanut butter smoothie. He adds a banana sometimes. One banana has 20 carbs, which is my carb limit for the day, so I avoid that.

If you're looking for ideas beyond protein drinks, try some melted cheddar (I take a hunk and zap it on a plate in the micro for about 30 seconds and eat it with a fork), fresh mozzarella balls, soft scrabled eggs, greek yogurt...etc. Hope these ideas help you and other newbies.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

skybabe34
on 11/7/13 8:01 pm

Thank you both. I will look for the unflavored protein. I've been adding shredded cheddar to my beans. I heat them together and stir. :)

Valerie G.
on 11/7/13 9:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're taking a staggered approach, you should be getting close to 30g by now.  Ricotta cheese was my saving grace, and egg custard.  I've got some recipes on my profile that may be a great help to you, and they taste GOOD!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

skybabe34
on 11/8/13 11:18 pm

I'll try those. They look yummy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 923 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1144 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 401 views