Hunger question

stillhoping
on 11/12/13 9:47 am - Tampa, FL

If I don't eat until I feel stuffed, I am hungry all the time.  Then after I am stuffed I swear I am hungry again in an hour.  I keep cheese, etc. to snack on but this is crazy.  I have put on 15 lbs and need to stop the madness before it gets out of hand again.  Any and all suggestions welcome.

Terry

penny_DS
on 11/12/13 9:50 am

Hi Terry!  I'm certainly no expert but If I eat carbs I feel like i could eat all day, one cracker or piece of toast after the other.  Do you drink lots of water?

stillhoping
on 11/12/13 9:54 am - Tampa, FL

I drink a minimum of 2 Liters of water daily due to my kidney stone issue.  I keep my carbs under 50.  Maybe I should go lower?  I also drink diet pop and crystal light.

Terry

Irishnurse
on 11/12/13 11:26 am
DS on 04/17/13

Diet pop and artificial sweeteners actually make you crave food. Maybe this is why. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

fullhousemom
on 11/13/13 8:41 am
Agree. Give up the diet pop. I am reaching in my memory bank way way back, but I recall that its either the artificial sweetener or the caramel coloring of dark pop that acts as an appetite stimulant. In my college days, a couple of diet coke big gulps during exam week would make me screaming for food!
dustycroy
on 11/12/13 11:19 am
DS on 05/14/13
Im a newbie here "DS on May 14, 2013" so take what I say with a grain of salt....lol Ive heard of people shrinking their "sleeves" or pouches by just consuming protein drinks for seven days. My thinking is, is that maybe when you do start eating again you would stay fuller longer.... Then again you could possibly put your body into starvation mode, and that might not be favorable either... Just thought I would throw that out there. It will be interesting to see what others say......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Lyss Remaly
on 11/13/13 12:51 am - Wheeling, IL

Due to the way I train I eat every 1.5 hours.  My metabolism is kicked into high gear from eating more.  When I eat every 1.5 hours I'm eating quality foods.  Chicken, ground turkey, broccoli, spinach, plant based fats when necessary like coconut oil, olive oil and red palm oil.  When I switched to eating WHOLE, CLEAN foods I found that I had to push myself to eat instead of being starving hungry all the time.  I try to get my protein from foods and use shakes only after my workout when I need that quick hit of protein in my muscles.  I might suggest giving that a try.  Eat every 2 hours or so but eat whole foods, high in fiber and protein and see how your body does on those.

jashley
on 11/13/13 6:22 am
DS on 12/19/12

Normally I rarely feel hungry.  But if I don't get enough protein, my body will start to nag me.  That nagging is the persistent, annoying ghost hunger that I get.  I eat, and it comes back in an hour or so. 

When I start noticing this, I cut my carbs back and eat protein first.  I also drink shakes to make sure I get over 100 gms of protein every day.  I try to get close to 120 gms for a couple of days and then the hunger goes away.

Maybe this approach is killing 2 birds with one stone.  I cut back on carbs so it cuts down on cravings and - get more protein, which fills me up and keeps me full longer.

I also tend to stress eat, but that is another story.

Valerie G.
on 11/13/13 7:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm the same way, but this is how I get in all my protein without protein shakes most of the time.  My husband says I eat like a bird -- a little at a time, but all the damned time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stillhoping
on 11/14/13 8:26 am - Tampa, FL

Thank you everyone.  I quit drinking diet pop and crystal light two days ago and I have the headache from hell but I know this will go away.  And I must say I have noticed I am not as hungry as usual or because I have been overly busy at work lately.  I would LOVE to find a protein drink I can stand.  Atkins is the only one I can gag down so will be going out this weekend to buy some to see if it helps.  Will drink one when I get hungry.  I have stocked up on cheese, jerky, hard boiled eggs, etc at work to snack on.  I will keep you posted if all of this works.

Many thanks for the suggestions

Terry

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1025 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1192 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 483 views