Protein Absorption

OmahaMama
on 12/3/13 11:19 pm - NE

How much protein can we absorb at one time?  Thanks in advance :)

hollykim
on 12/3/13 11:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you will get a lot of varying answers bu,truthfully,no one has ever been able to produce a scientific  study proving their point,one way or the other. 

E best advice is to space your protein out in regular meals thought the day.

gl

PeteA
on 12/4/13 1:17 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Yep. No real studies, a situation that really bites! Looking at peoples meals I don't think there is an appreciable limit. At 8 months the biggest meals I have been able to get in are 60-70 but for meals (not snacks) I tend to do from 25 - 50 per meal.

Protein malabsorption tends to hit only the people that aren't getting in very much protein at all because they are having health problems.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

OmahaMama
on 12/4/13 6:03 am - NE

Thanks both of you :)

SharonG
on 12/4/13 7:50 am - Arlington, VA

To add to what others have said (yes, we don't really know!), keep in mind that the amount of absorption also depends on the bioavailability of the protein being ingested.  

For example, liquid protein supplements are a lot more bioavailable than a piece of steak.    You will absorb most of the protein in a liquid protein supplement because it is already broken down to smaller particles.  Foods that are well masticated (chewed) will allow the digestive system to absorb more than food not well chewed,  Softer proteins, like fish, well chewed, will absorb more easily than chicken not well chewed,  etc. etc.  

There were many websites that used to indicate the maximum amount of protein  that could be absorbed at one time was 30 grams, but there has never been any scientific studies or proof provided.  

NoreenRT
on 12/4/13 9:05 am - Warner Robins, GA

If memory serves me, I believe VitaLady posted once that a study at Princeton showed, adults only absorb 30 grams of protein within an hour.

i recently had a co-worker who is taking some health/nutrition college courses, and she also said the same thing.  

If I'm incorrect, hopefully VitaLady will pop in to make the proper corrections.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

MacMadame
on 12/4/13 9:27 am - Northern, CA

Actually there many studies that show that we absorb all the protein we eat at any one time.

Here are just two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10867039

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1244.abstract (people ate all the protein they needed for several days in a few hours time due to intermittent fasting)

From "ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient"

"One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional literature, there is no scientific basis for this claim."

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

fullhousemom
on 12/4/13 8:50 pm
This supports you can eat as much protein as you want, whenever you want, and get the full benefit. Its a great link to some real studies. I have not seen anything this concrete before re: protein absorption.

The last link didn't work. Maybe I have to be a member or "logged in."

Thank you!
MacMadame
on 12/4/13 10:53 pm - Northern, CA

They probably just moved it. Again. LOL

There's an updated report so they may have removed the old one. I'm sure I can find a link to the original somewhere. But it just says what I copied out above it. There's no additional info.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 779 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1063 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views