8 months, still hard to eat protien without gagging???

dustycroy
on 12/31/13 6:43 am, edited 12/31/13 7:45 am
DS on 05/14/13
I thought I had come to accept that I have a hard time eating protein without gagging, "even after almost eight months". My reasoning is a Im a somewhat newbie, and it will all come in time. I will just make sure I get it in with the protein shakes. Theres part of me "in the past" that even likes the control that it has givin me to push food away. Well now I have to admit I am a little bit worried. If I didn't eat ever again, I probably wouldn't care... accept for one thing...It could probably kill me. That's where the fear comes in. I really do try.... but after about 2,3, maybe 4 bites "if Im lucky", I just cant do it... The gagging sets in.... I cant believe I would ever say this, but because it doesn't seem to be getting better, I wonder if I should have just been sleeved. I still totally believe in the DS, but with the way my body is reacting to it, I have to admit I am a little fearfull of the malnutrition part of it, at this point. My question is has anyone seen or had any experience with having this "gagging" thing go on for so long this late in the game, and be able to pull out of it, and not gag anymore??? Also I don't have one of those tiny sleeves either, its a bigger one... Vets I need your expertise...Thanks....CORRECTION TO ALL READERS OF MY POST I didnt mean gag like I cant get it down at all, I meant that the thought of taking one more bite sickens me to the core... Sorry, i didnt better describe my situation. I hope people read further, and see my correction........CORRECTION TO ALL READERS OF MY POST I didnt mean gag like I cant get it down at all, I meant that the thought of taking one more bite sickens me to the core... Sorry, i didnt better describe my situation.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Fatherof2
on 12/31/13 7:16 am, edited 12/31/13 7:18 am

Have you talked to your surgeon? I am totally not a doctor but the the symptoms that you speak of sound like a hernia that I have read about. Again I am NOT a surgeon or doctor. I m just trying to help your doctor is going to know more.

Fatherof2
on 12/31/13 7:25 am
Valerie G.
on 12/31/13 7:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Have you consulted Dr. Aceves about this?  It's not at all normal.  I was eating solid food the day I came home from the hospital.  This is not your intestines, I don't think.  It sounds more like it's between your mouth and stomach (which would make no difference between DS or VSG -it's the sleeve).  You need someone to take a look at this.  Is there a sleeve surgeon willing to talk to you?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dustycroy
on 12/31/13 7:44 am
DS on 05/14/13
CORRECTION TO ALL READERS OF MY POST I didnt mean gag like I cant get it down at all, I meant that the thought of taking one more bite sickens me to the core... Sorry, i didnt better describe my situation. I hope people read further, and see my correction........

Valerie G.
on 12/31/13 8:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Oh whew - you were scaring me.

Food lost it's luster for a good 6-9 months for me.  The thought of it never sickened me, but nothing ever excited me.  I would be looking forward to eating something, only to find that once it hit my lips, it wasn't nearly as satisfying as I was making it out to be.  I went through what you might consider a mourning period, if you will.  Hopefully you will reach a turning point soon.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

fullhousemom
on 12/31/13 7:58 am
This is pretty unusual and I can't say that I can recall anyone having the same complaints at eight months out.

I would seek counsel of a dr and get a scope of your esophagus to your stomach, just to make sure there isnt any damage there. And forgive me with the terminology...scope, cat scan, whatever, to rule out any physical problems.

It sounds like you can drink protein shakes ok, but not eat food. You gotta rule out any physical issues you may have.

If everything comes back clean, you may have some psychological issues you will need to address through counseling.

I used to take a vitamin from the health food store, pre-DS, that made me gag every time I swallowed it. It got to the point, that I would start gagging as soon as I opened the bottle. It was the smell that bothered me. I currently take a C which is a tablet, and I gag a bit when I take it. I will switch to a capsule as soon as the bottle is gone. Have you tried different types of protein? Cottage cheese, ricotta fluff, babybel cheese, eggs, different meats. Or does this happen with all food?

Many people rely on shakes, but I think it is more of a choice for them, than a necessity. Get to a dr and get it addressed. You've suffered too long. Best wishes.
dustycroy
on 12/31/13 8:24 am
DS on 05/14/13
To be honest, like i said part of me likes just eating a few bites, it doesnt bother me a bit, I feel more normal now than any other time in my life regaurding food. Not obsessed i mean. I just know for my health and my body, its probably not a good thing. To be honest I was hoping someone would come along and say, "That just happens sometimes, you'll snap out of it after awhile, and everything will be fine". So far no takers in that dept.. We'll see with more comments. I've heard of people loosing their appitite for a long time, and I always thought I was just one of those. I can eat other things, it just that it seems like meat, and pure protien turns my stomach.... Thanks for your response..

Sandra C.
on 12/31/13 9:16 am - Kalamazoo, MI

I have the same issues as you do, for 2 1/2 yrs since the beginning of my D.S. I prefer to drink protein fruit drinks, or protein shakes. I never was a picky eater, but now nothing looks appetizing. My stomach hurts with more than 2 sections of chicken wings. I have 120g protein a day. I had an EGD scoping to see if my reflux had caused damage. A barium swallow showed a hiatal hernia. I'm recovering from HH surgery now. They gave me 2 meds to keep me from throwing up all food. I get muscle spasms in the esophagus and stomach  recovering from surgery with all  food. I had this in the hospital the first day of my D.S. One med is Levisin 0.125 mg sublingual, the other Diazepam 2 mg tab. I'm not a Dr, you should take it up with your PCP. I know another D.S.er with similar issues as yours. It can be a mental issue necessitating counseling. Your PCP can direct you to a good talk therapist. 2 other of my meds happen to take away my desire for food, and cravings. Knowing this, I make sure to have enough protein in shakes, and as much solid food as I can. I was able to eat more before my Hiatal Hernia developed, causing abdominal pain. Snacking, with a few bites at a time helped me increase protein. I always have a shake with me, sipping all day, and cut up protein bars, nuts, protein jerkee. When I drive I have a few snacks. Sit down meals with my family just don't work for me. They watch how little I eat, but never say anything negative. I can eat more cold things like ice cream, with permission from my nutritionist. I need the calories and calcium. The ice cream freezes the uncomfortable stomach feelings. Warm tea also feels good. PM me if you have any questions. Hope you feel better, and can improve your nutrition.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

dustycroy
on 1/1/14 9:57 am
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you for your response... Good advise here for sure. Ive never had stomach pain, or spasms, thank god.. That would be horrible... I feel for ya. Just naucous feelings twords food. I understand completely about the "family dinners". I hate to see the worrisome faces... All in all my family is very supportive of my decision, to get the DS.... In time I gather it will work it self out. Its interesting to hear that even at 2 and a half years out you still feel gaggy twords food. I wonder if that's how its going to be for me.... The funny thing is its not just food that gags me. It could be gross things in a movie, or someone just talking about something gross, not food, just anything, and I gag....uhg. I so never was a pansy girl about things like that. In fact I always hated it when girls acted like that about things. Payback is a you know what.... Now Im that girl..... I would have never thought in a million years that I could be that irritating....lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 347 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 804 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views