DS Recovery

jjordan8130
on 1/12/14 6:21 am

I wanted some information on how recovery went for those of you with DS. I'm in my last semester of nursing school and I'm thinking about having surgery over spring break. No time (even after graduation) is really ideal.....Spring Break is the better time only because my schedule during the semester isn't super busy. (This may not make any sense....but it's really not....) I have 11 days off for Spring Break and I can get an additional week out from school. 

Obviously there is no way to tell how my recovery will go, but I would like information from others about theirs.

Thanks!

larra
on 1/12/14 11:34 am - bay area, CA

You may get different responses from others, but for me, that would not have been nearly enough time. The metabolic changes of the DS are huge, plus of course it's major surgery with general anesthesia. I didn't have much pain, but I was exhausted, and it took a long time to get my energy back. And I had been working and active pre-op, so I was very surprised at how exhausted I became. It all worked out fine in the end, but the recovery was harder than expected.

Larra

jjordan8130
on 1/12/14 11:45 am

Thanks Larra! I really don't know what to expect. This is my first surgery, so I have no experience. 

tidligigi
on 1/12/14 11:47 am - Canada

My doctor gave me 3 months off after my DS surgery and I'm sure I could of went back to work after a month :) It all depends on the person. 

dustycroy
on 1/12/14 12:39 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Each person really is different when it comes to healing, but I have to say I mostly hear about people that were either glad they took plenty of time off, or wished they would have. I am a homemaker, and boy was I glad I was. Everytime I got into a grocery store, even at three months out, I would get dizzy, and have to go home. It was frustrating, because I would just start enjoying myself while getting out and about and then it would hit... I myself would be better safe then sorry...

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Irishnurse
on 1/12/14 2:58 pm, edited 1/12/14 2:59 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Just depends on the person I took off a little less than two weeks and did fine. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

PattyL
on 1/12/14 3:04 pm

My surgery was open.  I was just automatically given 6 weeks off but I could have gone back to work in 4.  I had a desk job.  More than anything else, I was uncomfortable.  Not really in pain.

MissDee1
on 1/13/14 2:01 am - TX

Im a month out.  Feeling great!  I was feeling great at 10 days out though!!

Valerie G.
on 1/15/14 2:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was extremely listless for a full 5-6 weeks, and wouldn't have even dreamed of returning in 11 days.  My recovery was picture-perfect, too and I was very grateful for the 8 weeks I took off.  You also want to consider the time to get your bowels regulated, too.  It takes time to get on a schedule.  I think you're pushing too hard on this one.  If you can wait until summer, go that route.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jjordan8130
on 1/15/14 7:19 am, edited 1/15/14 7:19 am

Thanks for the input Valerie!! I appreciate it!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 726 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1028 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views