Sometimes I think I'll never get my surgery!

Lynda D.
on 2/10/14 7:08 pm

Sometimes I think I'll never get the surgery I need. Sometimes I think I'm going to continue living in limbo, while I wait for things to change in my favor. I was working on getting approved for surgery, when my husband was laid off. Out of the blue. We didn't see it coming at all, and now we have no insurance. 

It sucks.

But the weird thing about loss and failure, is that's an opportunity for change. In my case , it means I can finally get financial aid to go back to school. I've always wanted to finish my degree, but we made too much money to get financial aid, yet not enough to just pay out of pocket. I intend to take advantage of the fact that we've become so poor since my husband's layoff, and get my butt back to school. If I my health will allow it that is. I'll have to see how it goes.

But there's still the issue of insurance. We can get Obamacare insurance — in fact we HAVE TO — but it won't cover bariatric surgery. Meanwhile, I have thyroid disease, liver disease, sleep apnea, and I'm pre-diabetic. I'm not getting any healthier.

While the Obamacare insurance won't cover surgery, it does cover weight loss counseling and such. It also covers screening for obesity, which is stupid. I don't need to be screened for obesity...I just have to look in the mirror to know I'm obese. But I digress.

I'm thinking maybe I'll do the obesity screening and weight loss counseling and whatever other stupid thing I have to do. My surgeon requires a six-month diet before surgery (Which is pointless in my opinion — if I could lose weight by dieting, I wouldn't need surgery now would I?). So maybe I'll work on the diet while I'm on the Obamacare insurance then, hopefully, at the end of six months my husband will have found a real job with real insurance. 

What do you think? Sound like a good plan?

Lynda

PS: I don't came to this forum much anymore. It's just too much torture to read about the thing that's been denied to me. So most of you probably don't know me. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

miranda12503
on 2/10/14 9:00 pm

On Jan 2nd 2013 My husband walked in the door and said he had lost his job of 13 years..... We saw nothing coming.... poof it was gone. Along with our insurance. I was in the middle stages of getting DS surgury and had to put it off for 8 months.... It was one of the hardest times for us as a family. Take every chance you get to snag the positive... We had to make so many cut backs... Our little ones were too young to understand (5 year old twins), Not to mention I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and my meds cost $5500 a month without insurance..... Went off those meds FAST.... I know my situation passed and yours will too.... I think going back to school may be a great chance to turn this tough time into a new adventure!! And Even if you have to put The DS on hold for a few months..... A few months in the sceme of life is not very long....  Hugs and good Luck!

Miranda

DS Surgery Nov 12th, 2013

SW 250       BMI 41.6

CW 127 BMI 21

123 pounds loss in 1 year 7 months! 

Went from a size 22 to a size 4/6!

fullhousemom
on 2/10/14 9:17 pm
I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

Go back to school. You have been given a great opportunity.

Do all the weightloss counseling, etc that is available to you under Obamacare. You will likely need that anyway to qualify for DS surgery under traditional insurance. It may be possible to fast track your DS for when you or your husband finds employment with insurance.

I have never experienced a job loss in our family like you have, so I don't mean to oversimplify the difficulties you are facing. I do know, that in all cir****tances, you must look at the glass as half full, rather than half empty to move forward. Attitude plays such an important part in our decision making and overall health. I wish you a quick resolution.
Lynda D.
on 2/11/14 3:06 am

Thanks all. As far as my education goes, yeah, I feel like this is probably the only opportunity to get financial aid. I've been wanting to finish my degree for more than twenty years now. But the problem has always been money. Couldn't get a grant. No way was I going to take out a studentl loan. My husband's student loans are killing us as it is.

It seems to me like middle income people have it the hardest. If you're wealthy, you can afford what you need on your own. If you're poor, there are a lot of programs available to help you out. But if you're in the middle, well... 

I suppose it could always be worse. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

airbender
on 2/11/14 10:44 am

oh gosh that stinks and I hope he gets a job real soon, hear this soo many times, I don't know if i will have my job another day, I think that is just normal now...sad.....but why not get a job yourself so you can get insurance, maybe have wls covered and hopefully even cover you hubby  even some places that you work part time you can get benefits-hopefully it will work out and very very soon

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views