The tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth.

Jaiart
on 2/24/14 7:44 pm - MI

I don't know maybe it's me but since my surgery/recovery I have been having issues with my teeth that I NEVER  had prior to my surgery.  My teeth seem loose and weak now. Some days every bite hurts so much that I have to eat soups/shakes, some days are okay, some days start okay then turn bad.  As I said I never had this issue prior to surgery and wondering a) if anyone else has experienced similar issues with their teeth post surgery.

anyone else having issues with their teeth?

It's very bad on some days and sadly I must now ingest meat in copious amounts and that is the very thing that gives me trouble. Actually tired of the shakes protein supplements now but must continue until unless tooth issue abates or I get some good non-meat ultra low carb hi protein recipes.  I have even begun researching implants (teeth) in case they become necessary.

Irishnurse
on 2/24/14 10:12 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I would say a trip to the dentist is what you need. If your teeth are loose it sounds like gum disease. Or maybe, just a guess, possibly your calcium is out of whack and your teeth are suffering? My teeth seem way better since I take so much  calcium and have stopped eating so many sweets. I do use peroxide and baking soda to brush though. I had a dentist with such beautiful natural teeth tell me her secret is not toothpaste but a mixture of peroxide and baking soda. I usually just use the baking soda but add peroxide once a week to whiten. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Amy W.
on 2/26/14 9:50 pm - Buckeye, AZ
My dentist said low calcium doesn't have a big effect on your teeth because the blood supply is too minimal.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

PeteA
on 2/25/14 8:57 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I have a cousin who had an RnY and her calcium tanked ( she stopped her vits ) and they are talking about dentures. I would have someone take a look at your gums and have your PCP do some labs just to make sure.

That sounds pretty sucky I hope things get better soon.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 2/26/14 4:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How are your labs?  Malnutrition can be to blame, but malnutrition can be corrected.  You just have to know what your body is missing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Zee Starrlite
on 2/26/14 12:13 pm, edited 2/26/14 12:14 pm

Sounds like you need to rule out malnutrition and periodontal disease.  Implants are not easy.  If your teeth are loose you may have bone loss and pretty grueling process to build that up for implants. It's terribly expensive too.  Hopefully your issues can be reversed - 4 mos.? Post-op is a short time for healthy strong teeth and gums  to go bad.  You've been getting in all your vitamins and protein?  Please get to the bottom of this quick so you can keep your nice natural teeth.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sheanie
on 2/27/14 8:44 am

When was your last visit to your dentist?  Last set of x-rays?  Ever been referred to a periodontist for an evaluation?  If you have, then your problems started WAY before your weight loss surgery.  What do your lab results say for calcium?  What's your PTH?  Do you already have bone loss? 

The magic age of 40 is when most people need their first crown.  From there, it's mostly downhill, unless you really make an effort to stay on top of your oral health with twice a year cleanings and yearly x-rays.  If you're avoiding fluoride as well, or in an area without it, that only compounds the problems.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 794 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 267 views