Hello...just approved for revision

dawn4511
on 6/26/14 6:23 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hi everyone, my name is Dawn and I had rny 7yrs ago. I had lost around 100 pds but never got near goal and then gained it all back with a pregnancy. I have been trying to get a revision for two years now. I finally got the last approval today. The surgeon that will be doing it will do the rny take down and sleeve in one surgery and then 2-6mths later the remaining ds. I'm very excited I believe the ds lifestyle will work better for me. Is there any suggestions you have for me? I've printed off alot of information from ds facts website. Thank you.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

larra
on 6/26/14 9:38 am - bay area, CA

Great decision! The failure rate for RNY is substantial, and more and more people are realizing that revision to the DS is possible and can make a huge difference, not just for losing weight and keeping it off, but also for resolution of comorbidities. It is a big surgery to go through. I was not aware that Dr. Hong was doing revisions of RNY to DS, so even though he's doing it in 2 parts this is still really good news.

Suggestions - it sounds like you have already done your research and know what you are getting into. My only other suggestion is to be as active as possible pre-op to get yourself into the best possible shape, and plan for adequate time off work if you work, and adequate help at home for the first few weeks.

Larra

dawn4511
on 6/26/14 10:35 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Thanks Larra I really appreciate it. Dr Hong has not done a lot of revisions but has been doing rny and sleeves for awhile. It's the only surgeon option I can get so I will try to make the best of it. Thanks again.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

MajorMom
on 6/26/14 7:00 pm - VA

Congratulations!!   : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

BridgetJones
on 6/27/14 8:59 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

Hi Dawn, sounds like we will have similar journies.  I had RNY 5 years ago and have developed SEVERE hypoglycemia.  In my research (after I figured I'd have to deal with this until I died) I saw that DS or VGS were good remedies for the hypoglycemia that RNY can cause.  I contacted my surgeon and applied for consideration for the revision.  I found out Thursday I am a candidate for the revision and now have to meet with the nutritionist and have an upper GI then meet my surgeon.  It's a little scary to consider the revision...it's pretty extensive but it's also encouraging not to have to worry about passing out and having a grand mal seizure in public.

Good luck to you!!!

Bridget

5'5"   SW - 208  GW1 - 138  GW2 - 108 Lowest W - 108  CW - 158.5

Seeking revision from RNY to DS due to extreme hypoglycemia

Original surgery June 24, 2009        

dawn4511
on 6/28/14 12:31 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hi Bridget. Yes it is a little scary but I think worth it. Good luck to you. It took me two years to get through all the testing. Hope your journey is faster .

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views