High Liver Enzymes

Petunia
on 7/30/14 7:12 am

I had my yearly labs done and haven't seen my surgeon yet but my liver enzymes are elevated.  I got a note from my PCP and said to limit drinking and Tylenol.  I don't drink at all.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it from our supplements?  Everything else was ok.

VIt D- 89

Vit A- 59 

Calcium 9.5

PTH- 32

Protein- 6.7 

ALT- 35 (This was the high one)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ruby

larra
on 7/30/14 8:36 am - bay area, CA

While the "normal" range varies from lab to lab, 35 is either just at the top of the normal range for women (per Web MD) or just above if your lab has a different range. This doesn't seem like cause for alarm, but I think the advice about avoiding tylenol is probably a good thing to follow, just in case. Perhaps your doctor could either do a follow-up lab in a few months to make sure it's not going up with time.

Larra

Petunia
on 7/31/14 6:13 am

I'll have them checked in a few months and see how they are.  Funny thing is when I was at my regular doctors last year she asked me how much I drank and I said not at all.  I should have known something wasn't right for her to ask me that.  I'm getting ready to have knee replacement surgery and was a little concerned since I'll be taking more medicine.  

Thanks for your reply,

Ruby

PeteA
on 8/1/14 4:46 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

My liver enzymes have always been slightly elevated. According to my endocrinologist just something to watch and not be concerned unless it went really high.

Karen M.
on 8/2/14 5:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

Before I answer, YES I know I'm not a DSer, but I do have a particular interest and history with liver difficulties. My liver very nearly died last year (8 years post-op RNY) and tried to take me with it. I'd be happy to answer anything at all via PM.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views