Surgeon Recommendations, Houston area

robs477
on 8/29/14 12:42 am

Hi everyone. I am SO flippin frustrated!! I apologize for the following long email, but you guys need to know my situation so you can give me your esteemed advice. After yesterday’s FOURTH visit, to FOUR different alleged DS Doctors in Houston (that advertise doing the DS) that I’ve been to and their pitch to me has  all been the same:  ”I don’t think you need the DS and would benefit more from the VSG”….and then when I say I am interested in DS only because I am a SUPER absorber , their pre-planned well-rehearsed and thought out scripted back-up response is…..”If we do decide to do the DS, I like to do it in two different stages….first we do the VSG part, you lose 40-50 lbs and then we come back 5-6 months later and do the 2nd stage”…….I swear to god, I am so upset!!!!!!!!! I have read from ALL you guys on FOUR forum sites I’ve been reading from about this “Bait and switch” and I am NOT going to accept that. For me it’s DS or nothing. Here is my short story and WHY I am saying that. I am 56, 5’11” and weigh 360. My highest weight was 390 and that’s what I go to when I eat ONLT 1500-2000 calories a day. For the last TEN yrs or so, I have to limit myself to about 500-800 calories a day…IF I go over that I GAIN WEIGHT!!! AND NO Dr. F***ing believes me! That is why the VSG alone will not work for me; I would still super absorb everything. And, even IF I did agree, by the time “stage 2” rolls around, at 50 lbs. less and I would NO LONGER QUALIFY FOR INSURANCE as you ALL know, AND THEY KNOW THAT TOO, They are all just GODAMN SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!! So???? WT Hell do I do????? I am running out of options and Surgeons to go to??? How do I assure DS or nothing??? Will they sign an agreement? When I tell them one stage or nothing, They also all say “ I won’t know until I get in there if I can do it or not, might not have enough room, fatty liver etc” Cant I just say….OK…. then if you need more room, just OPEN ME UP! I would rather have open surgery than wake up to find out I only got the VSG!!! I have been living like this for 40 years and don’t want another failed pipe dream hoping another diet or something else will work. I Know my body and from experience that the DS is my only hope and I just can’t seem to flipping get to first base, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me, I feel I’m running out of time and options, not to mention all the time off work, forms to fill out and monies spent going to all these Drs. THANK YOU ON ADVANCE for your time! Rob

Crazeru
on 8/29/14 7:03 am

More than likely, they really don't do the DS.  The DS is a complicated surgery.  That's why there are so few surgeons that do the DS.  Go up to Denton, or down to Mexico.

The DS really does allow you to eat like a regular person, granted a more carnivore person, but it is pretty forgiving.  Most folks have to drive or fly to get their DS.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Valerie G.
on 8/29/14 8:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Unless you are in very poor health, there is absolutely no reason to do the DS in 2 parts, and NEWS FLASH****most morbidly obese patients have a fatty liver, so no excuses.  They're trying to go the easy way, and you do the same...right on to a surgeon who will do a DS and only a DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

katinhouston
on 8/29/14 4:01 pm - Houston, TX

Have you seen Dr. Wilson yet? Actually I am having surgery on Wednesday with Dr. TODD Wilson who is in practice with Dr. Erik Wilson (not related though).  Erik Wilson was not available when I had my consult and I am very very happy with Dr. Todd Wilson. I am a revision from a sleeve to a DS and instead of trying to talk me into the "gold standard" bypass like my original sleeve Dr. did (with quite an attitude I might add), he actually listened to what I wanted.  

He asked me questions and made sure that I knew what I was getting myself into and that vitamins were not an option but a requirement.  And then he agreed with me.  It was so refreshing not to be belittled and instead have a dr. That understood that I had done my research and knew my stuff!

robs477
on 8/30/14 2:23 am

Thxs for that reply!!!! AND....thats VERY encouraging to hear that about him...In all fairness to him, NO....I have NOT actually seen Dr. TODD Wilson for my appointment yet, that is in 10 days, BUT, I did talk to him briefly after their mandatory pre-visit seminar last Thurs and I asked him why he didnt discuss the BPD-DS and actually said in the seminar that he wasnt going to talk about it. His response to me was how dangerous it is and how I would most likely benefit better from the VSG etc, so that discouraged me, but, not yet the actual appointment where I will go in to more detail. Hopefully when 1 on 1 he will agree for the DS. GOOD LUCK on your surgery this week and when you feel up to it, keep us posted!!!!

robs477
on 8/29/14 7:51 am
Valerie G.
on 8/29/14 8:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

BTW - I'm just like you.  I could diet like a champ and live on next to nothing.  My weight gain might plateau but I couldn't lose weight for anything.  The DS was my answer and it will be yours, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stormy918
on 8/29/14 9:02 pm

Robs I think  you will benefit greatly from a trip to Denton to see Dr Ayoola. In Houston Dr Scarborough is gonna be your best bet... period.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

robs477
on 8/30/14 4:30 am

Thxs, can you send me that info you had on that DS group here in Houston, (HADS) I think you said, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on it?

stormy918
on 9/1/14 9:20 pm

SEnt you a message. Bestway to reach me is email..... [email protected]

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

Most Active