Surgeon Recommendations, Houston area

robs477
on 8/13/14 4:45 am

Hi, my names Robert, been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks reading everyone’s good info and posts and have a question or two. I am looking at getting the DS done in the Houston area and would like some good or bad recommendations for a surgeon. I tried to look under the search feature and found a little bit, but, figured I’d ask away.

hamilbr
on 8/13/14 6:07 am - Lewisville, TX

Make the drive to Denton.  Dr. Ayoola worked & trained under the late Dr. Daryl Stewart.  He actually has 2 offices, Denton & Frisco.  Wonderful doctor!

Brenda

robs477
on 8/14/14 1:34 am

Thxs Brenda for the reply and the info. Just to expound a little: I have already seen a Dr. Bonnor and Dr. Ferrari and am scheduled to see a Dr. Sherman Yu at TLC (Texas Laparoscopic Surgeons) on the 28th, Dr. Wilson on the 27th and am awaiting an appointment with Dr. Tony Primomo. I really liked Dr. Bonnor, seemed very highly skilled, but he’s not in my preferred provider List. Dr. Ferrari spent the whole visit telling me that I didn’t need the DS and should elect for the VSG. I am 55 and weigh 360, 5’11 and have been at this weight for over 35 years. For the last 20+ years, I have only eaten 800-1200 calories per day. For the last TEN years, its only 500-600 per day. For the life of me, (literally), I cannot see how the VSG would help someone like me???? I DON’T have an OVER eating problem. I have an absorption problem, i.e., I absorb everything and store it as fat. And, I am relatively active, have a very busy job where I walk a couple miles a day, so I’m not a sedentary person. So again, I have no clue how the VSG would benefit me??? Maybe I’m missing something? Thxs in advance everyone for the help! I have already learned so much by reading these posts!!!

hamilbr
on 8/14/14 2:47 am - Lewisville, TX

I've heard Dr. Wilson's name a few times, but none of the others.  But really don't know much about him.  So,  which ever one you decide on,  just make sure they do the DS. 

Brenda

larra
on 8/14/14 10:07 am - bay area, CA

Sounds like the guy who tried to talk you out of the DS doesn't do the DS, and wants to shift you to an operation he does know how to do to avoid losing a papying customer...oh excuse me, I meant patient. We call this "bait and don't switch". I agree 100% with your assessment of your situation. There are people who do well with the sleeve (though long term results remain to be seen) but I very much doubt you would be one of them. I wouldn't have been either, and I'm very glad I got the DS.

With the exception of Dr. Wilson, the others are docs I haven't heard of. You really do need to be carefull to make sure your doctor is experienced with the DS. You can, and should, ask each one how many of the Ds he has done, how many in the past year, complication rate, etc. If you get straight answers that satisfy you, great. If you get either answers you don't like, or evasion, it's time to move on.

And I would also recommend Dr. Ayoola, who worked with the late Dr. Stewart and is well regarded in DS circles.

Larra

stormy918
on 8/14/14 9:03 pm

Dr Scarborough is the DS guy in Houston right now. He has a fairly active DS practice. I personally know a few of his patients and they are doing quite well. Wilson has done the DS but there has been problems with bait and switch and with his staff..especialy his nut.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

robs477
on 8/14/14 10:51 pm

Thxs so much for the info, I am actually scheduled to see Dr. Sherman Yu whom is Dr. Scarborough's colleague at TLC, Texas Laparoscopic Consultants and was definitely leaning towards selecting them. I also have an appointment with Dr. Wilson, so, I think it is getting narrowed down to those two, again, thxs!

Laura in Texas
on 8/14/14 9:59 pm

Erik Wilson. I believe the Davis' do the DS now but I am not sure how many they have done.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

robs477
on 8/14/14 10:53 pm

Thxs everyone for the help. Your posts re-affirm everything I was suspecting. One surgeon even said…..”I will do the DS, BUT, if I get in there and see problems like a fatty liver etc, I will have to do just the sleeve part of it”…After reading all the posts, I think this is just a more “Sophisticated” version of the ole “Bait and Switch”…pretty slick really!!!... F@*ing money grabbing ********!!!!!!! I am going to tell the surgeon I select, that its DS or nothing. Close me back up if you can’t do it and as I read one other poster's comment, AND…I have my Lawyer on speed dial..LOL!!

stormy918
on 8/15/14 1:01 am

I dont think Garth Davis is still doing the DS. Even if he were I would run from that. He has become a big vegitarian and that is NOT condusive for a DSer.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views