6 Years Out - Is my DS "broken"?

CarolZ
on 8/18/14 2:58 am - Atlanta, GA

Hi Everyone,  My surgery was in December 2008.  The weight loss was fast and easy. BUT I have gained 27 pounds since January of this year (I started doing cake decorating, dumb, huh?)  AND I stopped weighing every day. For the last 4 years, people have been telling me I was too thin and it went to my head. I got complacent and careless.

For 5 weeks, I've been doing what I know to do in an effort to lose it:  keeping carbs under 30, drinking lots of water, eating protein first and taking vitamins, but the weight is coming off so slowly -- one week I lost nothing at all.  Could my DS be broken?  I'm just wondering if all those darned little villa have grown back and brought friends with them?

And, I no longer have daily bms -- I'm lucky if I go every 3 or 4 days.

Please offer advice, encouragement, admonishment and, I wouldn't be too upset about a kick in the rear!

Height 5'4.5"
HW 283  SW 263 LW 119 CW 147 GW 135  
NOT EVEN OVERWEIGHT - Just "normal" for the first time since 1989:)

PattyL
on 8/18/14 4:00 am

I have no doubt we do adapt as time goes on.  You gave me a huge clue....  Up your fiber a lot till you get to the point where you go every day!  Flax, chia, whatever it takes.  Add fat too.  Maybe coconut oil or more butter.  You can still lose, it's just harder.

PeteA
on 8/18/14 10:33 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Cake decorating - sounds like fun.

Not a broken DS but certainly more sluggish than when you first had it. You might want to
track your protein and liquid consumption - see what kind of totals you are really getting in.

Temporarily upping your fats might help with the BM's. You should post in bites and vits for a while.
Gina has been on maintenance for a while and might be a good sounding board on your meals.

Good luck.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 8/19/14 1:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not concerned about a little regain.  It should be expected (15-20% ewl regain).  I regained about 20 lbs myself over time (8.75 yrs out), and I'm no longer told I look like a scarecrow.  I also got some boobs back, so Hubs is pleased

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DianaRR
on 8/20/14 4:41 am - CA
It would be good to see your doctor and have some lab tests. I don't think a DS can be broken in a way to make you gain weight, the food doesn't go through some of your small intestine. Could you be retaining water, or something like that.

CarolZ
on 8/21/14 2:29 am - Atlanta, GA

Thanks to all of you for answering!

You know, the biggest thing about the weight gain is the FEAR, no, the PANIC, that I will gain 100 pounds and go back to super morbid obese.  I just cannot bear that thought.

I do track everything in Fat Secret - it lets me track Carbs, Protein, Fats and calories.  I don't pay attention to the calories, though, just the carbs and proteins.

I do need to add fiber -- but don't want to add carbs.  I'll check out Chia seeds.

Thanks again.

Carol

Height 5'4.5"
HW 283  SW 263 LW 119 CW 147 GW 135  
NOT EVEN OVERWEIGHT - Just "normal" for the first time since 1989:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views