Getting ready for surgery! Suggestion?

katinhouston
on 8/21/14 1:19 pm - Houston, TX

My surgery is 9/3 (re-sleeve, DS, hernia repair) and I am looking for suggestions of things to bring to the hospital and also to have at home after I am discharged? Is there already a link somewhere? Or any ideas/things you couldn't have lived without are appreciated!

Thank you everyone for all of the info and suggestions thus far!  Getting excited/nervous/crazy etc....

MajorMom
on 8/21/14 6:56 pm - VA

They didn't keep my in the hospital long enough for me to need anything really. I guess I could have used a back scratcher to help me reach and pull things close.

I had on-hand at home diet cranberry juice (diluted with 1/2 water), sugar free popsicles, chocolate protein shakes, and cream of whatever soups. After that first 2 weeks I was able to go shopping for more things.

Have you read all the articles on www.dsfacts.com? It's an excellent resource.

--gina  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 8/22/14 3:54 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I was home in 3 days and didn't really have the energy in the hospital to do much besides walk and watch tv.
Take or have someone bring a pillow for the ride home. I wish I had. Every bump was a little painful.

As for what to have at home - mostly different things to try and drink. Water mostly but you can also try
Beef and chicken boullion cubes. I found it easier to drink something warm at the start. Some people prefer 
extra cold - you have to experiment.

The rest depends on your Doctors plan for meals during recovery. I did 2 weeks of liquids before I went to pureed
food. I stocked up on creamed soups because I knew a little later I could have them once I strained out any stuff
that might get caught. I also had a bunch oif carnation sugar free breakfasts that were recommended but I came out lactose intolerant
so that didn't help. SF popsicles for sure/

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 314 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 778 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views