Thyroid medication and what type of iron supplementation?

katinhouston
on 8/22/14 6:50 am - Houston, TX

For the DSers out there on thyroid medication-how do you time your thyroid medication with your supplements? Thyroid medication needs to be taken 4 hrs before and after most supplements-iron, calcium, multi etc. it seems like we need more hours in the day to fit everything in!!!

Also what are the best iron supplements to take and the best place to purchase? I usually run low and am wanting to buy the best available to get a jump on things.

NoreenRT
on 8/22/14 11:35 am - Warner Robins, GA

Howdy. I take Synthroid. Since I always get up in the middle of the night, this is when I take my iron, then at 5 a.m. I start my day first thing w/ the thyroid meds.

hope this helps.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

airbender
on 8/23/14 3:19 am

let me tell you it is a balancing act!!!!  I take 2 different thyroid medications, one fasting then I eat and take once dose of calcium about 2 hrs later (as a dser 4 hrs are not necessary since we are short guts)  then lunch 3 hrs later  and another dose of calcium, then 3 hours later my next thyroid medication, then dinner is about 3 hours later and another calcium dose then before bed I take my iron, proferrin forte which is a RX, can be taken on an empty stomach or with food , no orange juice, etc.... ya it is a pain with thyroid medication, try 2 different thyroids medications, 3 doses of Ca and then iron....you have to be very diligent

Amy W.
on 8/23/14 3:50 am - Buckeye, AZ
You don't take a multi or the other stuff we actually need?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

airbender
on 8/23/14 8:46 am

for a "typical" dser with no other issues only ca and fe are the interfering minerals  for thyroid medication, we usually take (that includes your multi if it has ca an fe)....so hence the posting about ca and fe only

katinhouston
on 8/23/14 6:51 am - Houston, TX
katinhouston
on 8/23/14 6:51 am - Houston, TX

I have 2 also! That's why I was wondering. Levothyroxine and liothyronine. Ugh

airbender
on 8/23/14 8:20 am

yes...it is rough....when taking thyroid medication you have to worry about ca an fe, ca is the worse, even though our other vit/min are not known to interfere, I still take my 2 thyroid medications separate from everything else....pm me give me your list, how many, etc  and I can give you a suggestion on how to move your vit/min around...I take 32 pills a day...... 10 months after I had my DS I had a thyroidectomy, so DS with thyroidectomy is a *****so I have been doing this for years......

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 298 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 770 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views