My Psychologist has trust issues

Lisenros
on 8/23/14 6:41 am, edited 8/23/14 7:26 am

I went to a psychologist for the testing requirements that was recommended by the hospital and in network with my insurance. The first flag that rose was she required me to sign a form that allows her to charge a credit card I provided if my insurance approves or denies a claim. It stated that I agreed to pay co pays and fees like that. After my first visit, she immediately charged my credit card $30. She charged my insurance $235 and knew that my copay at that time was only 10%, but I didn't complain about it at the time.

The claim got denied due to a coding error. The insurance wrote me saying that my provider should not be billing me and that more information was required. The second visit I had with my psychologist said that the coding she provided was correct and wouldn't call my insurance company for further information. I asked her to to explain to them that the testing was required for surgery and she said they wouldn't care. She said that she would charge my card the remaining $205 and I reluctantly agreed, saying that I would appeal the decision. I left after 30 minutes and went home and talked to my insurance company. They explained about the appeal and I started on my letter. 

I checked my credit card the next day and she charged my card $285. I asked her about it and she said she charged me for the 30 minute visit. I asked her to refund me the $80 and wait for the denial of her request before she charges my card again. I've gotten more information from the insurance company and from a clinic I called for a second opinion about the codes she was using. She says she would charge my card after sending the report to the hospital and then once the insurance company pays her, she'd refund the money. My insurance company does not reimburse me... that's not the kind of insurance I have, so I told her not to send the report unless she wouldn't charge me.

At this moment, she's stopped writing the report. I feel stuck because in the end, she wants to charge me at least $800 and wants to stop going through the insurance company.

Valerie G.
on 8/23/14 7:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would call the credit card company and dispute the charges.  You can use this very reasoning for your dispute, even though you signed a form.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lisenros
on 8/23/14 7:25 am

I asked her not to charge my card before the insurance company denies the claim, she said she couldn't afford to wait for that. She seems anxious that I will be changing my card number on her. She said that she would refund the $80, but I don't trust her anymore. I need that report to proceed with my surgery and she knows it, so it's like she's holding it hostage until she gets all her fees from me rather than my insurance company.

hollykim
on 8/23/14 10:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

trying to get her whole fee from you is exactly what she is doing. She knows from experience that she will only get a fraction of the 800.00 from insurance tha she is planning to get from you. 

Thos is actually in violation of the agreement she signed with your insurance carrier and I would also Inform them and cancel her agreement to charge your card with the card company.

Lisenros
on 8/23/14 12:00 pm

To give more information about what's going on... I've had two visits with her. The first visit was an hour of talking and an hour and a half of MMPI testing along with a food evaluation and a stress evaluation. Then a few weeks later, I met with her for a follow up visit that lasted 30 minutes to discuss the results of the tests. She said it would take her three hours to write her report which she would be charging me (my card) and billing my insurance company.

After the denial, she said she would submit a claim but use the same code since that was the only medical code she could use or felt comfortable with. The reason she said she charged my card the additional $80 was because she knew the second claim would be denied. That's when I told her I didn't want her to charge my card until after it got denied.

There's a pending refund on my card. I'm going to have to change the number since I don't trust her. I called my insurance company and explained what was going on. They told me to file a complaint on her and that she was in violation of her contract with them no matter what I signed. I talked to three different people about it because I kept finding out new information little by little about what she was doing and about what might be wrong with this situation.

I felt dumb for signing the paper, but silly me, trusted that she was a professional and that I would not have to worry about her charging my card inappropriately. I asked her to fax the copies of everything that I signed because she never gave anything to me. She said she hasn't even billed my insurance company for the testing, just an initial evaluation. And she said if she did, then I would owe a lot more... She's not even waiting on the official results! I had an appointment with her on July 29th and by August 20th, she had charged my card $315. When a company bills you for something, they give you more time than that!

I'm also kind of worried about telling the hospital about her behavior. They seem to really like and trust her. I don't want them to think I'm crazy for telling them this stuff when she's in charge of giving them my psychological results. I don't want her to say I'm crazy or not ready for the surgery because of all this billing mess.

Oh, the other thing is... and this is from her... other people have issues with how she charges them. She even said that people will bring up questions about why is she charging them and she said, well you signed this paper saying I could. So I'm not the only one. I haven't found any reviews of her online at all.... Well, I found one, but the insurance company approved her codes with that person and he was happy with her service. I'm not refusing to pay what I owe. But when the insurance company hasn't officially said I owe something, then, she has to work to get it approved or an official denial. They were asking for more information and she just gave me other codes to see if they would be approved. She didn't want to call them at all.

She wanted to send my report and charge me $480 for the three hours she's taking to write it. I asked her to submit the claim for it and then I'd pay. She said, no because people change their credit card information after the report is sent and she never gets her money. I understand she's been burned, but she's really eager to get a payment from ME and not try to help get the insurance to approve the claims. I told her I didn't sign up for this to pay out of pocket for everything and she hasn't even tried to help me get more answers from the insurance company. Just gave me more codes and asked me to call. Then she got really defensive and actually whined about me not trusting her. The only reason she gave me back the $80 is because she didn't want us to have "bad blood" between us and she said, if you insist on it, then I will.

Valerie G.
on 8/24/14 12:30 am, edited 8/24/14 12:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Listen - as a DSer, gone are the days of being afraid of rocking the boat.  Now is the time to stand up for what is right for you.  This is just a start, too.  This is your life, and I'm sure you're not the only one who can't afford it.  Everybody needs to know about her unscrupulous practices, from the credit card company, to the insurance company, to the surgeon and hospital.  Her practices are making the hospital look bad too, and they could be accused for being "in cahoots" and I'm sure they don't want to be mixed in with her reputation.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 8/24/14 2:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

She shouldn't be giving you the codes to. Give to the insurance company. She is afraid to be in touch with them. Because she is afraid they will find out about her scam,and trust me,it IS a scam, and actually she is trying to defraud the insurance company by trying to get you to pay  her around them. 

The insurance company is correct,according to their agreement with her,she cannot try to get payment directly from a client. 

I would send her a certified letter,one she has to sign for to receive,then she can't say she didn't get it,telling her I am no longer using her services and I am revoking her privilege to charge my card. I would demand a refund of everything she has paid,and tell her I was reporting her to the credit card company,the insurance,the surgeon and the hospital,whatever agency licenses her and the Better Business bureau. 

I would then find a new mental health professional,one who takes ethics seriously.

if she tries to burn you,you still have the. Same recourse to report her to all the above agencies.

Saralove103
on 8/24/14 9:02 am
VSG on 08/20/14
On August 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

trying to get her whole fee from you is exactly what she is doing. She knows from experience that she will only get a fraction of the 800.00 from insurance tha she is planning to get from you. 

Thos is actually in violation of the agreement she signed with your insurance carrier and I would also Inform them and cancel her agreement to charge your card with the card company.

This is 100% correct. I work in billing and coding and if for any reason they leave a claim pending (coordination of benefits, whatever) the claim is always priced and paid once the issue is resolved. That being said, if her billed amount is $800, depending upon your plan - she may only receive half of that, probably less. The "best" scenario for her, would be to keep charging you out of pocket. What I would do, is a) call your insurance company and advise them that she is basically double dipping or billing the insurance and charging you out of pocket and b) have the credit card company refund your card. She's committing insurance fraud, and since she has placed charges on your credit card prior to your claim actually denying, probably credit card fraud as well.

Lisenros
on 8/24/14 9:20 am

It has a status of denied, but they said that they were requesting more information from the provider and that she should not be billing me, much less charging me. She gave me the codes to call and check to see if they'd approve them. Now she resubmitted the claim, but kept my money and said she'd refund me when she got paid by them. She keeps saying she resubmitted the claim with the code I wanted her to use. She kept saying that she knew what she was talking about cause she has 20 plus years experience. So I doubt myself and I have no idea about coding or how insurance works, but the more I talk to people, the more I find out... the more defensive she's getting and I think nervous.

greensleeved
on 8/24/14 6:29 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Does your insurance require that you see THIS therapist? If not, can they recommend someone else in the area that they work closely with and know will handle the charges appropriately? Every medical provider should be able to tell you ahead of time whether or not they accept your insurance and what the fee will be. I'd try to find another therapist if you can. Good luck!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 321 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views