Tomorrow is one month! Questions...

annarohr
on 9/17/14 10:30 am

So, tomorrow will be four weeks since my DS.  The hardest adjustment has been, getting all 27 vitamins in each day.  I think I have only gotten all of them in a few times so far, but they don't make me as sick as they did at first.  Will missing a vitamin here and there cause major issues over the long haul?The other hardest thing has been nighttime gas.  No gas during the day, it's all saved for the evenings, not sure why?

Okay, weight loss.  Am I off to a slow start or am I doing just fine?  I started at 268, now at 248, so 20 pounds in the first month, is that good?

NateH
on 9/17/14 10:36 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I'm not a vet (yet), but 20 pounds in 1 month sounds amazing! Congrats on your success. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

katinhouston
on 9/17/14 1:34 pm - Houston, TX

I hear you with the night time gas. What is up with that???? I had my surgery on 9/3 so 2 weeks out for me.  I don't know what to do about the gas in the evenings! It will be very difficult to go out for dinners, movies, out with friends if this continues. I am the same as you-it's not really a problem early in the day but starts about 4-6 and doesn't stop until bed time.

Any vets out there have insight? Today I tried not taking my calcium chew to see if the sweetener in those were causing it. Nope. Tomorrow I will prob try a probiotic.  I have tried simethicone and charcoal tablets but they don't seem to help.  I don't drink milk, but since I am still on puréed foods I do have cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Do they usually cause gas if I am now lactose intolerant or only straight milk? 

Thanks for any insight! And good luck Anna! Great weight loss so far!!

katinhouston
on 9/18/14 7:09 am - Houston, TX

I am 2 weeks out from my DS and have been having the horrible gas problem at night too. It has gotten worse the last 2 days and been accompanied by explosive diarrhea. ( sorry tmi ). Today after my stomach started to rumble when I had barely eaten anything, I decided to go examine my vitamins. Vitamin C has sorbitol, b12 has mannitol, and calcium chews have polyglicitol syrup. All as first ingredients. Basically feeding sugar alcohols to my digestive system all day long. Ugh!

As of right now I am cutting them all out and will find swallow able alternatives. I am hoping its that easy-we will see!

PeteA
on 9/19/14 4:04 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

There is something about stretching out on the bed that makes me pass gas. Usually just a little for the first half hour
sometimes nothing at all. Depends on what I ate that day. I'm at 17 months.

Especially early on missing a vitamin here and there isn't a big deal you are working on reserves the first couple of
months. The further out you are it is only a big deal if it happens all the time. It is being consistent that allows for 
some misses. At least that is what I think. 

The problem is you don't really know about vitamins until you get your labs so you have to make sure missing something
is a rare occurence.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

J G.
on 9/19/14 3:58 pm

I try to be as religious as I can with my vites, that way if I have a day where I'm sick and miss some, it's no big deal.  And Pete makes a good point.  You want to work on getting some reliable labs so you will know how to  adjust things.  Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views