Exercise

beemerbeeper
on 10/20/14 4:16 am - AL

Any experience with high tech exercise monitors like Fitbit?  I am doing fairly well with diet (room for improvement) but can't find the motivation to walk. It's perfect weather and the dogs need it but I need a kick start. Maybe a pedometer on my iPhone?  Loosing but very very slowly. I know I have got to move. 

Brandy G.
on 10/20/14 6:48 am
DS on 08/20/14

I have a fit bit.

I suppose it is like everything, you get out of it what you put into it.  I got it to track my sleep and learned a lot.  I still wear it because it does keep me honest about walking.  Everything is a little over simplified, but handy.  Just knowing that there will be a gap in my chart for ever can get me out the door.  I don't share with my friends, much less compete against them although I can see how that would be motivating.  It seems a little overwhelming for me right now, but hopefully I won't always feel that way.

I also have the scale.  I like how these things are automatically recorded.  I always have the best intentions to keep charts of things and I never, ever get that done. I especially like looking at the charts off the scale after my DS!  Their on line site will track a ton of other things, including sports, food, BMI, etc.   It isn't the best site, but it is good enough and it is great to have everything all together. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

beemerbeeper
on 10/20/14 9:04 am - AL

Thanks. 

fullhousemom
on 10/20/14 9:05 am
I like the app, Map My Walk, on my iphone. I can have that running while I listen to my classic rock playlist. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually get me to the sidewalk.
beemerbeeper
on 10/20/14 9:06 am - AL

How does map my walk work?

fullhousemom
on 10/21/14 7:56 am, edited 10/21/14 7:57 am
MapMyWalk is like a GPS and it keeps track of your walks, how long you've walked, where you've walked, etc. I like that it will tell me when I have walked one mile, thru my headphones while I am walking. They also have apps, MapMyRun, MapMyRide that are popular. You can also look at your data from your pc or ipad. Quite honestly, I stumbled upon it looking for apps, and self taught myself how to use it. It's pretty easy.

Because it stores data real time, you don't have to log your information into another app.
K P.
on 10/20/14 12:13 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I have a fit bit, however, I typically use the step tracker in myFitnesspal. I am in myFitnesspal tracking my calories, and I normally have my phone with me. I also like my fit bit, however, it is just something else I have to remember to bring with me everyday. It does have some nice features though. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

beemerbeeper
on 10/21/14 7:51 am - AL

What is myfitnesspal?

K P.
on 10/21/14 8:34 am
DS on 07/08/14

It is a website (myfitnesspal.com) that has a great app for smartphones. You can set goals for food, exercise, water, etc. and you can also use it to track how you are doing. A relatively new feature is tracking your steps. I think you need at least an iphone 5 for this though im not 100%. I use it for both steps and tracking what I eat. Also, you can connect with others and see what they are eating - if they share that info, and see how they are doing. I recommend you check it out. Plus it is free!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Lyss Remaly
on 10/24/14 2:15 am - Wheeling, IL

Walking doesn't have to be your only source of exercise.  If you have access to other things there are ways to make it fun so you look forward to it.  Get a dance DVD or a yoga DVD.  There are TONS of circuit workouts out there that you can do in the comfort of your home.  Get a really good group of songs together that get your heart bumping and do some step ups.  The dogs will appreciate the walk while you are bored out of your mind haha.  Good luck!  Maybe also bring a buddy with you on the walk... you burn more calories having girl talk AND walking :)

GOOD LUCK! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views