Getting through my trials to DS surgery

maksl53
on 11/3/14 12:21 pm - Franklinton, NC

hello, just getting back to life on the boards. I've been stalking for months, but coming out of the closet - I had a gastric sleeve in 2010 and only lost 40 lbs which was gained back and more. i now have adequate insurance and I am going to get the second half of the surgery done. I had an endoscopy and my surgeon said my sleeve is very big which attributed to my low weight loss and regain.  Surgery was performed in Mexico.  

Anyway, my surgeon is not going to reduce my sleeve size.  Will this cause me to lose weight slower? I know that restriction and malabsorption cause rapid weight loss, but on the other hand being able to handle more food should help with malnutrition. My doctors philosophy is a larger sleeve and a longer common channel (100 cm). 

Just wondering about the speed of loss.  

I know now it's dependent on the person . 

MajorMom
on 11/3/14 6:00 pm - VA

Welcome!  I'm guessing the surgeon thinks the sleeve is still small enough and with the added intestinal bypass, you should be successful. You're right, it will be up to you to stay low carb and high protein, and keep up with all the vitamins. The good news is that you shouldn't have too many food and fluids issues early out, or the ability to start right away with a good vitamin regimen. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 11/3/14 10:04 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I don't know about doing the re-sleeve but I wouldn't consider a 100cm CC to be longer. I think sizes less than 100cm are not as 
common anymore as they seem to have been in the past. 

Do you still have some limitation with your current stomach size? Either way I think the szwitch portion and focusing on 
protein after will get you a lot further than you got with just the sleeve. Probably a little slower but maybe  comparable
to a revision from RnY as to speed of weight loss. A little slower but stil lable to get to goal.

neamom
on 11/7/14 7:07 am

5weeks out same story pretty much but my doc re-sleeved and added DS, I too was worried about rate of loss etc... I lost total of 50 lbs with VSG in 2010 I am down 32 lbs already with the revision.  Smaller sleeve 125cm. common channel

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views