I have tried three different kinds of iron - help it's all making me sick

neamom
on 11/10/14 5:27 am

I am 5 weeks out of DS surgery, I started taking my vitamins in week two.  I am having so much trouble with iron supplements.  I have tried Vitron C, vita lady tender iron capsules, and bariatric advantage brand.  I get nauseous, burpy, feel like vomiting.  I have done empty stomach, with a little food, nighttime, morning, mid day, away from all the others including calcium.  I need 300 mg elemental daily and I am staring to get concerned- I need to find a brand that will work for my tummy. TIA

PattyL
on 11/10/14 8:22 am

Back off for a few days and don't do any iron.  Iron glycinate is the only one I can take.  Give that go or try something else.  Kale chips are good if you like them.

airbender
on 11/10/14 9:58 am

those symptoms you are getting are common with the iron you are taking, most will  cause GI disturbances........the best absorbed without GI disturbances is proferrin forte, it is a RX....

Beverly N.
on 11/11/14 2:11 am - Aurora, IL

I have had good luck with Feosol Bifera.  Feosol makes three types, I can only vouch for the Bifera version.  I've been on this one for over two years with no side effects.  Others made me extremely constipated.  Hope you find something that works well for you.

trumanorme
on 11/11/14 11:56 pm - KS

I also have trouble taking iron and it hasn't mattered which kind. The only way for me to not get nauseous, is to take it in the middle of my evening meal. This has worked for me for 3 years now.

dustycroy
on 11/12/14 12:39 am
DS on 05/14/13
Ive seen others have this problem also. The advise that worked for me was start slow. If your taking a few pills a day, cut back to one a day for a week or so, and then add another and repeat the process. This is a very common thing, I think if you start out slow and add more gradually you can over come this...

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

PeteA
on 11/13/14 1:18 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Go slow like Dusty said. 

Even so if you can get the Proferrin via prescription you would be less likely to have any stomach issues
since it is animal based and your stomach reacts more like you are eating meat than the metal base of
the other types of iron. There is also an equivalent called Ferrofoods? available on Amazon but I haven't
tried that yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views