Three weeks out tomorrow! Question on constipation!

south2north
on 12/9/14 8:24 am
DS on 11/19/14

Hopefully the vets can help me on this one.  Everyone warned me about diarrhea after the DS, but I have the opposite.  I feel like my colon has turned to concrete!  Doctor told me to try suppositories, but it isn't working.  I feel like I would lose another ten pounds if I could find a way to get rid of the concrete!!!  I understand that I need to listen to my doctor, but I would REALLY appreciate any advice!!

MajorMom
on 12/9/14 8:58 am - VA

I had problems when I started taking Citracal Maximum w/D. I switched to Vitalady's calcium citrate only and that helped a lot. The other thing to try is to add some fats and oils to your diet. I know the docs think we can't handle it but we really do need it. We malabsorb a lot so we need to add it and find our sweet spot for what works best for our systems.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

south2north
on 12/9/14 9:14 am
DS on 11/19/14

Thank you Gina!  I ordered what the doc suggested and then thought I'd switch to Vitalady after the 3 month mark if need be.  The calcium I'm taking is Celebrate Calcium Plus 500 chewable.  I'm taking it 3x a day.  I'm taking the Celebrate Iron+C 30 mg Chewable at night before I go to bed.  In regards to fats, I used butter today to cook an egg and I've had full fat cheese.  Can you give me some suggestions of other ways to add fats when I'm only three weeks out.  Thank you soooo much for your help.  It is very comforting to be able to reach out to people who have "been there"!

MajorMom
on 12/9/14 6:00 pm - VA

I've been mixing my protein coffees with 3 oz of heavy whipping cream, 3 oz water, a scoop of protein powder, and 10 oz coffee on top. Seems to keep things really moving but it may be a little too much for you this early out. You might give it a try when you know you're going to be at home.
I don't really add a lot of fats but I don't avoid them at all. Start out easy and add things like real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, 1/2 & 1/2 cream or heavy whipping cream. I can eat a lot of ranch dressing on salads and deep fry chicken tenders. If chicken is still a problem try chicken thigh meat and tenderize the heck out of before you fry it.

--g 

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

south2north
on 12/9/14 7:22 pm
DS on 11/19/14

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply 

MajorMom
on 12/9/14 9:02 am - VA

What form of iron are you taking?  If you've already started supplementing check the forms against Vitalady's plan to make sure the forms are the right ones. The iron types she suggests that have worked for me are carbonyl and heme. Heme is the least constipating and the brand she sells Proferrin. They have a web site if you'd like to read up on it.

--gina 

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Karamay
on 12/9/14 11:06 pm - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I also was constipated & still have issues even now almost 2 years out.  Definitely add the fat as Gina suggested...anyway you can...I like the heavy whipping cream!  I also use 3 stool softners a day.  They do not make you go....only easier to go.

Also...Dr O is a great surgeon, but his vitamin schedule is very much lacking.  I did exactly as you did....got on the Celebrate vitamins for the first 3 months....but since then have completly switched over to Vitatlady's DS plan.  I started with the pre-packaged ones & then moved to separate vits I sorted myself & changed up a bit based on labs.

Good luck!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

south2north
on 12/10/14 1:00 am
DS on 11/19/14

Thank you Kara!  What stool softener do you use?  I used Miralax yesterday and today.  I did the suppositories yesterday and today with no luck!  Urghhh!!  Lots and lots of stomach gurgling, but nothing!  I will definitely be switching to Vitalady, I should have from the beginning!  Thank you again for your response!

Chris U.
on 12/10/14 5:24 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Hi,

This is an issue that I still have to deal with, even at 6 years out. Your body is still recovering from your surgery but as you get farther out and things start to settle down, you'll be able to eat more variety of foods and will know which ones affect you more. We DS'ers need more fat and it takes much trial and error to decide how much on a daily basis, and it can be quite individual. I find I need at least 125 grams of good healthy fats to keep things moving. I use real butter on my eggs in the morning for breakfast, heavy creme in my coffee, and almost every night, a large salad with plenty of olive oil, real full fat dressing, cheese, and pepperoni. I don't buy low fat anything. I also include some baby spinach on my salad as I think that can help move things. I also take a magnesium oxide pill every day which seems to work for me as well. I switched to liquid calcium citrate which I take with my protein shake everyday. If I eat too much fat, believe me - there is no problem with any constipation. 

Your still very early out, but if you can get more fat in then I would try that first. Try to drink as much water as you can handle and just plain moving around can offer some relief as well. I don't use too many over the counter products, but some of them do work for me. I know this is a very uncomfortable issue as well as frustrating, but hopefully it's only temporary for you. Good Luck...

Chris

south2north
on 12/10/14 5:35 am
DS on 11/19/14

Thank you so much for your response.  I will definitely try adding some fat and look into your other suggestions. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 725 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views