Couple of Questions

maxsmom77
on 1/19/15 6:24 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

What is a DS vetted list of surgeons and where do I see it? What is considered a good amount of surgeries?

PeteA
on 1/20/15 3:56 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Mostly, when people talk about a list they are talking about the Doctor's listed on www.dsfacts.com.

It isn't a comprehensive list but a good starting point. You might also post and ask who people would recommend if you are staying in a certain geographical area.

There are also people that have traveled out of the country for their DS. Mexico and SPain come to mind. 

I couldn't venture a guess on the number of surgeries. My Doctor is not on DSFacts and I went in knowing he only did a few DS procedures a year. I went more on his overall qualifications as a cutter than his DS community reputation.

Pete

maxsmom77
on 1/20/15 11:31 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

The information I have about him is that he has done over 700 bariatric procedures but focuses mainly on DS, some RNY and he kind of hates the band. I know he described to me the SADI. He drew it out and explained it to my husband and I. He was transparent about that. He also said "You're an intelligent woman, research it and come back with more questions". I'm a "old lady" college student and have always and forever loved research. So when I come in, I asked direct questions. I called the doctor's office today and even the receptionist knew that he did the SADI. When I went to the support meeting last night, one of his nurses said to just tell him I want it in one procedure. I told her I'd be just into graduate school if I were to do the 2nd part. She even said "Oh, that wouldn't be good". The only reason I really think he'd insist on 2 parts is if the band removal is "icky" scar tissue-wise (I've had it for 10 years, although I've literally had no problems with it - no vomiting, no pain, except I don't lose weight with it). He's doing an Endoscope first to see if everything looks OK, at least from the inside.

Thanks so much for replying Pete! I appreciate your generous support.

Yvonne

PeteA
on 1/21/15 12:26 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It sounds like you are pretty on top of it. Keep after it and feel free to ask anything that pops into your head. While we make a distinction between standard DS and variations like the SADI everything I've seen is that post-op issues can be pretty universal. 

Valerie G.
on 1/20/15 6:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The list on dsfacts.com is now voluntary by doc to add themselves to it and not vetted by the DS patients lik it used to be (new board owner - new rules).  Feel free to shout out a name though, and we'll tell you if we've heard of them.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 1/20/15 7:44 am

Just beware of the bait and don't switch surgeons.  More than a few SAY they do the DS and when you go to see them they try to talk you into another surgery.

Herman
on 1/20/15 8:15 am

http://bariatricfacts.org/ does have a list of the best DS surgeons. But you have to sign on to the site before you can read there I think. Also a lot of very knowledgeable people there.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 329 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 788 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 265 views