New to DS

Heylove
on 2/23/15 12:25 pm

I have my consult tomorrow with Dr. Keshishian for my RNY to DS revision.  I am beyond excited.  I'm looking for the most comprehensive "post surgery" guide that is available online, mostly about post surgery diet. 

After my RNY, I was eating solids four days post op, with the main emphasis on protein, vegetables, minimal fruits, and very little carbs.  I felt that my surgery was a success, as I kept my weight off for ten years, and had three healthy children in that time.  After a life changing incident two years ago, I fell into a deep depression, and have gained almost all of my weight back, making it almost impossible to exercise the way that I used to.  I dream of the day that I can move without pain again, and possibly even run a full marathon.  I ran a half marathon and was training for my first triathlon just before I started to gain my weight back. 

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?  What do we have to be super careful about?  I've read a little about problems with gas after surgery.  Is that a problem for most patients with DS?  I had practically no dumping, mostly because I didn't eat anything that I knew what trigger dumping problems.  I learned to stay away from fruits early on, and I can only handle about 1/4 cup of milk.  Will that change after DS?

And what about hunger?  After my RNY, I had absolutely NO feelings of hunger for about five years.  In the last two years, it has gotten to the point where I am hungry all the time. I wake up in the morning, feeling like I'm starving.  I only feel satisfied for about 45 minutes after eating, and then I feel hungry again.  It drives me crazy. 

I know I will get this answer tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone wants to answer tonight: are most RNY to DS revisions lap, or does it require an incision? 

I am so happy to finally get to this point, I feel like its a whole new beginning, just like my original surgery 12 years ago.  :)

MajorMom
on 2/23/15 6:03 pm - VA

Dr K is one of the best surgeons on the planet.  I wish there was a really good online guide. Perhaps check www.dsfacts.com. There might be something there that has been put together based on all the experience of some really smart DS folks. I have a document my surgeon's dietitian put together but the food guidance is mainly for the first few weeks. Long term is quite individual. You asked about gas issues and the best remedy I've found is a really high count probiotic. I take VSL#3 by prescription and stay away from carbs, sugar and gluten. The probiotic is a powder and I mix a 1/2 teaspoon in with yogurt or a protein shake twice a day. 

Keep us posted and good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 2/24/15 4:24 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hey good for you. You are certainly going to one of the best.

I can just give you my perspective two years out. I started out lactose intolerant to
powdered milk and actual milk. Lactaid worked for me if I really wanted milk. I was never
intolerant of anything milk containing like cheese and yogurt. That seems to be gone now.

I had very little hunger the first year. It was a little scary the first 6 months because it was so odd. I just learned to schedule/track my meals so I got in my protein and liquids. As I expanded my
menu's that eventually came back. I still find that when I have too many junk carbs I end up being hungry more often so that is something to watch. I can still get hungry quickly but I handle it better with protein snacks. 

You'll find the restriction pretty useful in the beginning. You really won't have much room for things beyond protein. I found it best even when I had more room (at 5 or 6 months) to stay low carb to maximize the initial weight loss. Also, the first 3 months you might find yourself sensitive to a lot of things that never bothered you in the past. Much of that goes away as you heal up.

Congratulations on that first step to moving without pain.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views