Revising to DS, and have "wonderings

Misty M.
on 3/29/15 1:38 am - Renton, WA

Hi Group!
I'm lurking, because I am having a revision from a proximal RNY to a DS (if insurance approves, which I"ll know in a few weeks). I had all my prelabs, and learned I have a condition called Barrett's esophagus, which is something that is generally caused by GERD, and can be affected by it. I don't currently have any GERD, but wanted some anecdote info regarding DS and how it changes your digestion, from the actual patient point of view. I have been told the best solution to the issues I have is DS or medial RNY, but my RNY failed due to anatomy not staying put, and I prefer getting my pylorus back. (Let me tell you about how surprised I was to learn I am a candidate for DS, after almost 10 years of being told I didn't have the proper anatomy to do it!). 

Misty        

PattyL
on 3/29/15 2:42 am

I have heard of people with Barrett's having the DS and it has worked out well.  Be patient and someone will come along.  I haven't had any problems with GERD.

airbender
on 3/29/15 3:53 am

hi there,

first congrats on your revision decision.  Barretts' cause is not exactly known, on thought process is GERD predisposes you to Barretts and subsequent possibility to CA.  With that strong link I would make sure the surgeon you have understands Barretts' and s/he will be performing your VSG, as you would not want unnecessary LES placed there to potentially add more complications to your abnormal esophagus. 

My suggestion to you is to find a surgeon who understand this very very well, how the VSG can increase your LES and potentially cause more issues with Barretts' , because a tight VSG can bring on GERD.  A Barretts patient may potentially need to have the VSG very large(as not to increase LES pressure) in that case the surgeon should adjust the alimentary limb and the cchannel to accomodate the larger VSG and subsequent ability to consume more food.  Not sure who your surgeon is,  and there are not many that can perform RNY to DS, and throw in Barretts,  but I would consult Dr A Keshishian in Glendale, CA.  good luck with your road to health

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

AngelnChains
on 3/31/15 3:41 am
DS on 11/17/14

Hi there! :) 

I am 4 and a half months post op bpd with DS and I have Barretts. When my surgeon told me I was a little worried because he said it could honestly either help or cause it to get worse. But I was 353lbs and my health starting to go fast so I chose to go with the surgery and to be honest, I do have to take prevacid twice daily but it keeps the heartburn at bay and no changes :) After researching and speaking with the surgeon I also learned that changes usually take many years to progress so at my age I figure by the time it does I will be older anyway and my health failing again! haha To be honest Im not sorry I proceeded. I am so glad I had the surgery because it has been a life saver and a life changer! all for the good. Just thought id give you my two cents worth haha! good luck with your surgery 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 308 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views