Body & Nutrition transitions over a period of time

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/15 8:43 am

Question for everyone:

I had the SADi / Single Loop DS in Nov 14 (6+ months ago) and have dropped to my goal weight. I have some concerns about nutrition and weight stability, and was hoping others can share their experience.

My stats so far:

First Month: 400 avg Calories per day, 45 to 65 Protein Grams

By 3 Months: 700 to 900 Cal per day, 80 Protein Grams

By 6 months: 1200 to 1500 Cal per day, 120 Gram Protein.

Can people tell me how this continues to evolve over time. I'm trying to determine where I will stabilize and what I should expect for normal calories per day.

MajorMom
on 5/28/15 2:45 am - VA

Perhaps stay with your 6-month stats for as long as you can. See if you can live with that and set your weight at your goal weight. There will be a little bounce-back and trying to stay at your goal weight for as long as possible is a good thing. Good luck! 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/15 1:13 am

Is there a point where the sleeve restriction stops working, and you can eat a normal amount of food. Right now, I'm still so what limited on how much I can eat at any given time.

MajorMom
on 5/30/15 3:01 am - VA

People report "turning the corner" when they can eat more normally but it's all over the place as to when that is.  My advice is still portion control to keep that sleeve as tight as you can for as long as you can.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 5/28/15 7:11 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

With a traditional DS I'm within 20lbs of my goal weight and have started to expand my diet with additional fruits and vegetables. I stopped counting calories post-DS but I do about 150gms of protein a day (6:1 / currently 230lbs). I really go by my weekly weigh ins to see if I am on target, which for me is staying even or a slow loss. I'm sure that could be translated into calories but it's a mindset I hope to not go back to until much later, if ever.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/15 12:48 am

Thanks for your response Pete. I'm the same height and according to BMI measures, at 6'1, a person should be about 165 to 180. I don't trust BMI as an accurate indicator but for lack of anything better, I'm sure what an appropriate goal weight should be.

One other thing, how'd you lose 90lbs pre surgery. That is an amazing accomplishment on its own.

PeteA
on 5/30/15 8:02 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I don't aspire to hit the BMI goals for my weight. I originally set 220 as my goal weight and then decided to work for 199. With my excess skin I think that might add 5 t o 10 lbs to my real loss. I'm happy to be healthy and wearing clothes in a Large rather than 4-6xl. Although I don't use BMI for a specific goal I'm pretty close to just be being overweight and that will be a good feeling.

I lost the 90 pounds on a diet out of the Cleveland clinic called the Hi Protein Sparing Fast diet. It's supervised and seems like Atkins on steroids, if that make any sense.  Really hard the first couple of weeks but then it got easier. 

I always could lose initially, Optifast, Atkins, even WW but I eventually gained it all back and more. I think I did so well because I knew the end goal was the DS and that post-op I would have a tool to help prevent the regain that always plagued me in the past. 

newlifetax
on 5/28/15 9:05 am
DS on 10/27/14

Since you are only at the 6month mark, you probably will drop below your goal weight.  Weight loss is expected for 12-18 mos after bariatric surgery.  The studies that have been done (limited) suggest that the SADI-S patients maintain 80-100% EWL for up to 4 yrs post-op (that was the limit of the study).  I'm far from an expert, but if you only consume 1200-1500 calories per day I would expect that you would at least maintain if not continue to lose weight...most likely the latter unless you are sedentary.  

I don't count calories and my Dr has suggested that I only keep up with protein and carbohydrates.  He wants me to consume 100+g of protein and 50g or less of carbs per day.  I'm a month ahead of you (surgery date 10/27/14).  I'm still losing around 12lb+ per month.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/15 1:04 am

Thanks. I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone to track what I eat, so I can make sure I'm getting enough protein. It also tracks calories and carbs so I pretty much have a detailed record of everything I'm eating. The surprising thing is even at relatively modest calories, im taking in way too many carbs and grams of sugar every day. 

Valerie G.
on 5/29/15 6:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm afraid expectations for SADI are nothing but a good guess since it's still experimental.  I'd say to stick with whatever the surgeon recommends.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 311 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 776 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views