Revision VSG to DS July 7th - Anyone else unsuccessful VSG to DS

Mommydoo
on 5/30/15 7:34 pm - OR

I had a VSG July 2013 and did not loose the weight - 48 pounds lost in one year with working out like crazy.  Now having a DS in July this year.  Just wondering if anyone out there has had an unsuccessful VSG revision to a DS (not just weight gain but never having lost it with the VSG) and if so, what were your results with the DS. 

I am excited for the DS surgery but concerned I will have the same outcome.  Eeck.  Trying to be positive...but would love to hear from others...

Thank you,

Kimberly

Valerie G.
on 5/31/15 4:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sit tight for there are several.  Also visit the Revisions board.  You'll find many who went for DS or RNY

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mommydoo
on 5/31/15 6:09 pm - OR

Thank you!  I was starting to think no one has had this revision (VSG to DS).

Thanks.  I will post to the revision board. 

A_Whole_New_Me
on 6/2/15 12:01 am

I have been very successful since having a VSG to DS revision.

After my VSG in April 2010, I lost 80 pounds. By the time, I had my revision to DS in January 2014, I’d regained all but 14 of those pounds (but was still down a 100 pounds from my very highest, years earlier).

My weight loss seemed to be slower than many of the others posting here but I just kept my focus (and did my best not to compare). I’ve been 5-7 pounds below my goal weight of 170 pounds (I’m 5ft 10) for the past 4-5 months.

I eat more” normally” than I have in my entire life – healthy, small but decent sized portions of delicious food. I now allow myself up to about 100 gm of carbs a day (I no longer track them) but reel them in if the scale starts to move up more than 2-3 pounds. Until I reached my goal, I kept my carbs to about 30 net carbs a day.

Good luck, Kimberly!

Tricia

ps: I try to be moderately active but do not work out. 

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." ~ Maya Angelou

Mommydoo
on 6/2/15 6:14 am - OR

Thank you for the sharing your results with me.  I was beginning to wonder if it was worth it.  How much total did you loose with the DS and how long did it in total take?  I am hoping not to be discouraged but to persevere like you.  Thank you so much for sharing.

A_Whole_New_Me
on 6/2/15 7:19 am

It took a year and 6 weeks to lose 115 pounds. 

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." ~ Maya Angelou

Mommydoo
on 6/2/15 7:23 am - OR

That is AWESOME!! Congratulations! I hope I can do the same. 

I am trying to keep at or under 30 carbs now - it is really hard but maybe after surgery when I can eat fat and have malabsorption it will be easier?  Not sure but hopeful.  My surgeon wants me to loose 26 lbs before surgery and I am struggling but slowing moving along.  Now I am starting to look forward to this.  I really think I can make it work.  Thank you!

katygee
on 6/8/15 7:38 am
DS on 11/14/14

I can't speak to the revision issue but I will say there is something magical about the surgery and how your body reacts to it.  

For years I did the same things with no success.  Post surgery it just seems like my body responded to my efforts.

You'll hear all kinds of people say if you just do the same things surgery does (small meals, high protein etc) you'll lose weight and save 20k but that's BS.  There really is more to the story than gluttony and whatever the DS does, your body starts to work that out.  They know for a fact your hormones are different immediately post DS, not so with just a regular sleeve.  That says something right there...

I had a SADI (I think of it like in between a bypass and a DS) and think the intestinal part it by far my biggest advantage, so much so I wish I'd gone for the full DS sometimes.  

Have hope - the DS works so differently than just intake restriction.  I have high hopes for your success.

Mommydoo
on 6/8/15 7:56 am - OR

Thank you, Katygee

joanaheter
on 6/25/15 2:09 pm - Houston, TX

I also was a failure on the VSG in 2013 only 50lbs gone...I still have to take my insulin also.  I am going through the process of having the DS in Dec of this year.  Hopefully I will get rid of this weight and also my insulin...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views