Would love input, should I get my second step?

Quillie
on 7/19/15 3:14 am - Belgium

I had my VSG (as first part of my ds) 6 years ago. I lost all the extra weight (255->155) with it and kept it off for a few years. Then I had two children and I guess my vsg did stretch, I'm stable at 200 now.

I could try a diet, of course, like I've done so many times before my vsg. But something in me just keeps thinking about getting the second step. Id like to know what you guys would do.

HW: 115 SW:109 GW:68

MajorMom
on 7/19/15 3:23 am - VA

If you qualify insurance wise or can pay for it, I would go for the second step. As my metabolism slowed down with age, I needed the malabsorption of the DS to fight the weight gain. Good luck on whatever you decide.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 7/19/15 11:16 am

I would do it if I could.  Much better chance of keeping off the weight and losing a little more.

larra
on 7/19/15 4:28 pm - bay area, CA

It sounds like the malabsorption and metabolic changes you would get from having the "switch" part of the DS would make a big difference for you. And we all know how those diets go!

At the very least, get back in touch with your surgeon, or with another DS surgeon if he/she is no longer available, and have a consultation. That doesn't commit you to anything and gives you a chance to learn more.

Larra

need2gethealthy
on 7/24/15 11:36 am

I was in your shoes for about 3 years and maintained at 205.  Last Tues I had the "second step" and added the DS part to my sleeve.

I am recovering well, sipping and drinking and excited for good changes again.  Keep researching and asking questions of the kind people on here until you decide either way.

About 3-4 wks away from my surg date I became scared and had cold feet (BAD)- just kept reading and thinking- you can always change your mind.  I kept thinking now c'mon, you can do this on your own.  Well, when I started the 2 week pre surgery diet- I knew by the 3rd day I would go forward with the surgery because all those feeling of dieting and starving and having pity parities for myself and caving only to start over again and again... came back to my mind and I knew I wasn't up for doing it on my own again.

My thoughts are with you because it's a struggle but if you didn't struggle with it I'd worry you may not be a good candidate.  There is upkeep of labs and vitamins (time and money) involved but I decided my life and happiness was worth it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views