Need my DS again!!

Weaura
on 8/12/15 5:26 pm

Hi, I had BPDS in 2004, it ended up being revised in July 2007, then reversed in Dec 2007. All of that was done because I had extreme hypoglycemia episodes. It was suspected that I had an insulinoma but the tests were inconclusive regarding its location in my pancreas. The DS WLS was revised and then reversed so I would gain weight so my body could deal with all the extra insulin my pancreas was producing. My weight had gone from 306 down to 118. So after the reversal I gained about 100 lbs and that seemed to keep my sugar around a 70-90 range which was great. However in Oct 2011 my sugar started crashing again. This time the location of the tumor was confirmed and I had a partial pancreatectomy and they took out the tumor. Now my blood sugar is good. I want to get my DS redone - the malabsorption part anyway. The Dr that did the original is no longer doing bariatric surgery, the one that did the reversal and revision has retired, and the current head of the bariatric group refuses to do ANY surgery on me. I'm considering Dr Rabkin in SF, or Dr Kishishian in Glendale CA. I'd submitted info to both, but haven't heard anything from either. I'm so afraid that I'm not going to find a doctor to give back what I had. All of those surgeries were open. I know I'd be a big risk. I weigh 270 now and am trying really hard not to be depressed and angry.

Weaura
on 8/12/15 11:10 pm

I see that after all that I wrote I didn't ask my question. Does anyone have experience with getting a WLS DS after having numerous abdominal open surgeries? Does the fact that I've not heard back from Dr Rabkins or Dr Kishishians offices indicate they don't want to touch me with a ten foot pole? Please share your thoughts or experiences.

Valerie G.
on 8/13/15 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I think you are inquiring at the right docs, for sure. I'd keep on them and call daily if you don't hear back.  I would also recommend Dr. Ungson in MX or Marchanesi in Brazil.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 8/13/15 9:14 am - bay area, CA

Drs. Rabkin and Keshishian are two of the best revision surgeons around, so you are going in the right direction. They are busy people, so if you don't hear something right away, send another email. I don't know whether or not they can help you but they can certainly give you some answers, if nothing else.

With all due respect to Val, and to Dr. Ungson, this isn't something I would go to Mexico for. Just too complicated and higher risk than usual due to all your prior surgery. But that is just one person's opinion.

I will also send you a pm.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 371 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 823 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views