First appointment with Dr. Teel in Dayton

stormechaser
on 10/22/15 12:25 pm
DS on 06/08/17

I am cross posting this to both DS and Revision boards. Thanks!

I am going to see Dr. Donovan Teel on November 13th. I already have a sleeve, but I also have a dilated fundus which has helped me-along with not adhering to a good diet-to gain back 50 of the 80 pounds I lost.

I am going to be inquiring about a DS revision. I have read that Dr. Teel has a rigorous screening process for his DS patients. I am fine with that. This is serious stuff and I have learned a HUGE lesson about all the wrong things to do after wls.

I am ready for the life change. Does anyone have any tips on making this a good visit? I want him to know that I am ready, wiling and able to comply. I am making a 4 hour journey to see him and I don't want to go in there looking and/or sounding like a fool.

I currently have Molina (Medicaid) insurance which is not taken at this office. However, the open enrollment period begins on Nov. 1st and I will choose whatever is the best option to work with Dr. Teel and his team.

Thank you in advance for any positive feedback.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

larra
on 10/22/15 3:41 pm - bay area, CA

I think your best bet is to go into the consult well informed about the post-op requirements to make the DS both successful and maintain good nutritional health with it. Also, ask about whether or not you need a resleeve, given that your sleeve is apparently either too large or not shaped right or both. The restriction of the sleeve and the malabsorption and metabolic changes of the "switch" part of the DS work best when they work together.

I will send you a pm with more info.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 10/26/15 6:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some patients love him, and others run away crying. I've seen both, and your best bet with him is to go in there knowing more than he does about how to keep healthy as a post-op. From what I've heard, he's had some DS patient go dangerously malnourished and he reacts after those encounters.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 798 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views