Probiotics

Dolphingirl1385
on 4/19/16 3:37 pm

Hello Everyone. It has been a while since I posted, but I still lurk around and read other people's posts often. My question is about probiotics. Since I hit my one year mark about 9 months ago I started incorporating other foods into my diet. Definitely trial by error. lol. At times, I have had a lot of gas and diarrea as a result (no issues the first 12 months). I understand that a lot of that is related to diet. However, even when I go back to strict eating the basics only, I still have some stomach upset. I finally decided to try a probiotic. I got one that my surgeon recommended and just started taking it three days ago. So far, it has made the problem worse not better. Is this to be expected? I didnt expect it to work right away, but I also didnt expect it to make it worse either. Side Note:  I am going out of town with my new boyfriend this weekend and dont want any issues. Please Help! I am so anxious that I am almost considering cancelling the trip. I have yet to let him spend the night or stayed the night at his house as a result. I dont want to let this issue ruin my relationship. I started taking the probiotic for this reason in the first place, because prior to him I was just dealing with the stomach issues as a side effect of the surgery....a cross to bear per say. Please help! Any and all advice is welcome. 

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

MajorMom
on 4/19/16 5:14 pm - VA

I take a very high dose probiotic and it took about 2 weeks for my system to adjust and really do well. Once that was done I've had no issues with gas or loose stools. I'm taking VSL#3 DS by prescription.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Dolphingirl1385
on 4/19/16 6:04 pm

I asked Dr K for that one and he suggested something else...said it is the same kind.....from the same source. I probably should have waited to start it when I got back....but was hoping it would help some before I went. I just want to enjoy muself this weekend and not be worrying the whole time about it. Thanks Gina.....hopefully it will help a little by then. Wish me luck 

MajorMom
on 4/19/16 6:40 pm - VA

How much and how often are you taking it?

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Dolphingirl1385
on 4/19/16 7:35 pm

Just following the directions on the bottle. Once a day and work up to 3 a day. 

MajorMom
on 4/20/16 2:23 am - VA

My "sweet spot" ended up being 1/2 tsp twice a day, or 300 billion bugs twice a day.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/16 5:29 pm

I would suggest your proactive and let your boyfriend know about your surgery and how certain foods can be an issue. He'll find out anyway, and if he's a good guy, he'll learn to accept you as you are.

Dolphingirl1385
on 4/19/16 5:56 pm

I already tried to explain to him and he says he doesnt care. The issue is mine....not his. Lol. I am just so shy about those kinds of things.....even before surgery. So I know I am going to have to get over it but it will take time and was hoping the probiotics would help a little....now im worse and going out of town in a few days. ?? I dont want it to ruin my trip. Thanks for your reply

twodelight
on 4/20/16 3:26 pm - Atlanta, GA

I just posted about eating fermented foods that has aided in digestion and is a good probiotic 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 322 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views