Diuretics

JudyB12
on 5/27/16 10:12 am

I had my DS in 2008.  I am having some pre-menopause leg swelling and my family doctor suggested I take a diuretic.  I remember my surgeon advising not to take diuretics.  Can anyone tell me why?  Thanks

PattyL
on 5/27/16 3:15 pm

What's the name of the diuretic?

Honestly they are not great for anyone.  Some like lasix can cause hearing loss.  Some can cause extremely low potassium levels.  And it is treating a symptom...not the cause.  Why are your legs swelling?  Did you know edema in the legs can be a primary symptom of low protein levels?  Did the doc check yours?

Next, before I embraced the pill I would definitely try plain iced tea.  About a gallon a day.  It's a natural diuretic.

JudyB12
on 5/29/16 7:04 am

The diuretic is Aldactezyde (sp).  I am having leg swelling due to pre-menopause. My albumin is checked regularly, last time about 6 weeks ago and it was in the normal range.  I will give the tea a try.  Thanks for responding.

harrietvane
on 5/29/16 3:01 am
DS on 02/09/16

I have taken a diuretic due to leg edema and high blood pressure since before my DS. The DS has halved the dose, though, and I hope to be able to come off it eventually. I take spironolactone.

JudyB12
on 5/29/16 7:06 am

I did take diuretics before my DS for high blood pressure but haven't needed them since surgery.  Thanks for replying!!

PeteA
on 5/31/16 5:22 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

No problem with diuretics post-op. I think most Docs would say not to take it early out post-op because hydration can be iffy at that point. That is probably not an issue for you any more.

I was recently put on HCZT? to help with my BP and haven't seen any issues.

Depending on how much "flushing" the diuretic causes you might want to be extra careful on your vits but I found
the small dose I'm taking only marginally increases my urine output.

Pete

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 314 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 778 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views