Duodenal Switch with Dr Ponce De Leon MX

BrookeDM
on 5/8/17 7:49 am

I am looking into getting a sleeve revised to a duodenal switch with Dr Ponce De Leon in Tijuana MX. I can only find 2 people that have used him for DS in the past and none are responding to me for updated opinions. Anyone here use him for a DS can you tell me if your experience was good? Any complications? How long before you went back to work? What kind of vitamins do you take? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

PattyL
on 5/8/17 11:51 am

There is only 1 surgeon I would recommend in MX and that's Esquerra in Mexicali. He uses Alma Mater hospital.

larra
on 5/8/17 1:07 pm - bay area, CA

What Patti said - Dr. Esquerra.

Larra

BrookeDM
on 5/8/17 1:28 pm

Thanks, I am aware of Dr Esquerra and I've been in touch with Nina. I just really want to find people that have had DS with Dr Ponce De Leon. I've only found 2 so far and have not been able to get recent feedback from them. I'd like to know there's more than 2 out there. I appreciate your time and feedback though.

hollykim
on 5/8/17 2:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM Pacific Time, BrookeDM wrote:

I am looking into getting a sleeve revised to a duodenal switch with Dr Ponce De Leon in Tijuana MX. I can only find 2 people that have used him for DS in the past and none are responding to me for updated opinions. Anyone here use him for a DS can you tell me if your experience was good? Any complications? How long before you went back to work? What kind of vitamins do you take? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I went to dr ponce for a conversion from sleeve only to a DS.

Instead of ads, he gave me a SADI, which is a wanna be DS. I didn't know this was done till several months sftet surgery. A year after surgery, I began having bile reflux. Not acid reflux, bike reflux, which I found out is a side effect of a SADI.

I ended up going to Mexacalli bariatrics to have the SADI revised to a true DS, having to pay all over again. I no longer trusted Dr ponce to do the right thing.

I cannot recommend him, AT ALL. I also recommend dr esquerra st Mexicali bariatrics.

BrookeDM
on 5/8/17 5:39 pm

I'm curious, when they do the SADI don't they take your pyloric valve? Does your DS really work the same as it would if he hadn't given you a SADI?

Valerie G.
on 5/9/17 1:16 pm, edited 5/9/17 6:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Plyoric valve is intact with DS. I believe they all keep the plyoric valve, except that the RNY leaves it in the unused portion of the stomach, and it has a tendency to atrophy from lack of use.

The SADI is easier and faster for the surgeon to perform. There is no valid reason for him to have not done the DS, and unfortunately, there is no legal recourse for any patients he butchers without their consent. You will find many surgeons that do SADI (aka SIPS, or LoopDS) that never EVER did DS. It's experimental with no existing data more than a couple of years.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 5/10/17 12:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, BrookeDM wrote:

I'm curious, when they do the SADI don't they take your pyloric valve? Does your DS really work the same as it would if he hadn't given you a SADI?

my DS works correctly since the SADI was completely taken down and then the DS was done correctly.

i know they cost more but there is a good reason. If you can afford surgery in MX at all, pay the money for the best.

I have had three wls surgeries in MX, three different surgeons and three different price ranges. Mexicalli bariatrics is the experience you are wanting, trust me.

BrookeDM
on 5/10/17 2:06 pm

Thanks so much for this. It looks like I'm scheduled for Mexicali Bariatrics in November. Have you had any scans to prove that they did the proper procedure on you with an appropriate common channel length? It just seems like it's really common for Mexican surgeons to want to leave a really long common channel to avoid complication risks. And if no one has been scanned after getting DS with Mexicali Bariatrics who's to say they are not doing the same thing? Thanks for your help so far you really saved me from making a huge mistake!

BrookeDM
on 5/8/17 2:34 pm

Wow, so he told you he was giving you a DS but then gave you the SADI? that's crazy, i know what a SADI is and i did not want one. You've given me a lot to think about and may have saved me much future grief. Thank you! I guess you get what you pay for I just struggle with what Dr Esquerra charges but in the long run if i end up needing another surgery it's not worth itð??"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views